Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

And I tought that sil was difficult to sew...

I finished making a bugnet sock today for my wife's hammock.

Dang,what an effort. You'd think that since there's not much to netting that it would be easy to work. Nope. It catches on everything, it doesn't like to stay folded, it HATES to have a flat-felled seam put into it.

I may have gotten a good deal on the netting, but considering the time it took to measure, cut and sew everything I probably could have spent less by just purchasing a pre-made one. As I said in an earlier thread, our cottage industry guys don't get near enough praise for the work they do.

My wife will appreciate being able to use her hammock for camping now, but next time I should just bite the bullet and buy another Blackbird.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    YAY! got pics?

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    I finished making a bugnet sock today for my wife's hammock.

Dang,what an effort. You'd think that since there's not much to netting that it would be easy to work. Nope. It catches on everything, it doesn't like to stay folded, it HATES to have a flat-felled seam put into it.

I may have gotten a good deal on the netting, but considering the time it took to measure, cut and sew everything I probably could have spent less by just purchasing a pre-made one. As I said in an earlier thread, our cottage industry guys don't get near enough praise for the work they do.

My wife will appreciate being able to use her hammock for camping now, but next time I should just bite the bullet and buy another Blackbird.
    Amen! It takes me all day to make even some simple hems or such on clothes, so I usually just take clothes to the tailor.

One thing to keep in mind when working with especially difficult fabric (for those who may not be aware) is it is sometimes helpful to hand sew a fold with a basting stitch first to keep the fabric in place, sew, then remove the temporary stitch.

Normally you'd use pins or just do it by hand, but sometimes the basting stitch really helps. Case in point, I re-hemmed an old silk blouse with a 1/4 inch rolled hem. The pins moved, even with a rolled hem foot on the machine, it was just a pain in the wazoo - but a basting stitch saved the day.
    Last edited by lizzie; 07-17-2010 at 09:20.

• + New Posts