Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone who replied! A MacCat Deluxe would seem to be the way to go, although at nearly as much as I paid for the hammock it'll probably be a minute before I go ahead and get one. I'd like to know a little more about what kind of suspension options there are, I've been having trouble finding all the information in the threads, people assume far more knowledge than I think they realize sometimes. For instance I can visualize using a biner to attach to the Treehuggers, but I have no idea what a ringbuckle system is or how to use cleats.

Jazilla you modified your HH so you can get through the mosquito netting? I'd love some more detail on how you did that...

Not sure about cutting the ridgeline yet, that seems like the sort of modification I might make when I have more confidence in what I'm doing. Thanks again everyone... this is a very friendly forum.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ringbuckles are pretty basic. Think: chin strap on a motorcycle helmet. That's all they really are and the cinch buckles are a variation of the same theme. The tree is the chin in that example

Of your three questions, that's the only one I have experience with so I'll let someone else answer the other 2.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Cannibal;30671]The tree is the chin in that example
    QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this part of your answer. If the tree was the "chin" then the rings would be tightened up against it. The rings are usually 6-12" from the hammock towards the tree. The strap and biner tighten up against the tree.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, I guess that's right. I was trying to provide a visual and may have done a bad thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In an effort to amend for a poor description here are some pics of the rings. I just happened to have a hammock set-up at the moment; go figure!

Rings and slipknot

Tree wrap and biner

Hope that helps!

I just got my MacCat in the mail, and my JRB Nest is on it's way. YAY!

Now I'm planning on making python skins, no-seeum tarp skins, and a gear hammock.

---Amy

Last night, in a vain attempt to cut weight from my pack, I modded my Asym tarp to include six 1" webbing loops around the hem. The positions are (1,2) half way between the corners of the shortest side and (3-6) on each adjacent side the same distance from the corners as tabs 1 and 2. That means counting the corners, I now have 10 securing points to play with.

The advantages are:
    1. I am able to use the tarp as a lean-to
    2. I can add extra lines where necessary to stabilise the upwind side of the tarp in heavy wind
    3. I have more flexability to shape the tarp to suit the direction of rainfall
    4. If I string the hammock between two trees close together, I can tighten the tarp even if I can't stretch it all the way along the suspension lines
    5. I can lace the tarp around the hammock to wrap it around in strong wind
    6. I can wrap it around me to act as a makeshift poncho

This last item doesn't work well at all. Just as a poncho makes a lousy tarp, a tarp makes a lousy poncho. But here the seasons and weather are fairly predictable and I just need to avoid getting caught out by a surprise shower. I thought about this for a while, but getting a little wet while walking is preferable to getting soaked while sleeping.

I also got round to adding 4mm thick shock cord loops to the tarp lines. This has two main advantages. The first, as the others have said is to self tension the tarp as it gets wet, but the second is more important to me. I find the standard tarp lines to be of a boor standard, being hard to untie knits in, being hard to shank, prone to damage and hard to stow when snake skinning. The lines are now affixed to the shock cord and the shock cord loop is easily removed and put back.

I have cut my ridgeline and added a three hole cinch for adjustment.

I also plan to mod my Velcro closure to add a lacing backup. and add a lace or press stud closure on my ridgeline bag.

I have also added a line to my pack from the ridgeline.

i made an unscheduled mod to my hh last night. i had the hammock up and was throwing the ball for my dog as i messed with lines and tarps and such. well, gus gets pretty excited about a tennis ball. i made the mistake of throwing it in the same hemisphere as the hammock. gus clipped a hammock tieout line, ripping the round plastic connection off. so i spent the evening replacing both of those with a stout piece of webbing. its stronger now, so maybe i should thank him.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12