Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I have noticed the same negative vibes over at BPL as at other forums and that is why I rarely join in discussions or even visit them. It is unusual for me to be this active on a forum as this one Because of the "open arms" feeling. Keep it up HF!!

IDK. maybe if enough of us post on BPL it might get friendlier!
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been a member at BPL for a while and find there is a lot to commend them for pushing the weight envelope, maintaining independence from advertisers, and encouraging active discussion. They also seem to me to have a constituency that tends to be more clique-ish and less patient/tolerant of those who aren't following the lightweight/ultra-lightweight canon.

What I value MORE about HF is a persistent civility, a welcoming atmosphere, an on-going interest in gear innovation and a patience with newcomers. What I would like even more than a BPL niche for hammockers is a more vigorous discussion about lightweight hammocking on HF. I don't pretend to be more than marginally into the lightweight category myself (about 18 lbs full baseweight before food and water). I rationalize it a bit by acknowledging that with my "manly" size (6'5", 225lbs) as a starting point my clothes, my pack, and other items I carry are larger and heavier than those of smaller stature.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The attitude in Greg's response is one reason I stopped going to BPL. Got tired of sorting thru all the arrogance and competition to find the good info.

But the more info that's out there for everyone to share, the better - hope you get your forum!
    yeah...i know what ya mean jeff....i'll go over there just for the gear swap
    thats about it.....

Way too many attitudes for my taste...

one thing i love about HF is we don't have that here...don't get me wrong...
    we may all not agree with everyones style but we respect it....and respect each other and that to me mean more then anything
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am a "One Forum Feller" ...... to me it is just more computer time .........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Shug - For you being a 1-forum feller is probably best. Any more than that and we won't get as many videos to watch.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm fairly new here, and I probably shouldn't even comment, but am I the only one that thinks if a hammock forum is created on BPL, it will just dilute the forum here? I would much rather see an ultralight forum created here that is hammock-centric as opposed to a hammock forum on BPL. No offense to those who want the forum on BPL.

It just seems to me that HF is something special. I was a member of a fly fishing listserv that started many years ago (Flyfish@), and we were almost like family and regularly got together at events we called claves. Other than a few jokes/pokes that occasionally got out of hand, the same spirit that exists here, existed there. Work and life got in the way of going fishing, and I had to drop out for awhile, and I thought I would never again find an online community with the same kind, generous, and friendly spirit, but here it is.

Salty

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    What I would like even more than a BPL niche for hammockers is a more vigorous discussion about lightweight hammocking on HF. I don't pretend to be more than marginally into the lightweight category myself (about 18 lbs full baseweight before food and water).
    The topic of having a UL category on HF has been discussed but for various reason has not been put into place. But I still vote "please".
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    The topic of having a UL category on HF has been discussed but for various reason has not been put into place. But I still vote "please".
    I concur, but there is another option in the interim, though it would take some discipline. Just add 'UL', 'SUL', or something similar as a message tag. Then a tag search would find those threads/messages. It's a way to create a virtual subforum. Just a thought...

Edit: there are existing tags for SUL, lightweight and ultralight, among others. Brings up a lot of threads.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There's no problem with talking lightweight or ultralight about hammock here at HF!

We don't have a category because anything to do with hammocks already fits into one of the existing forums. So, like Frawg says just tag it. Or better yet, put it in your thread title, and the tag will be created for you!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would also like to see both, one added here and one at BPL. While I am not really SUL or even UL normally. I am still always trying to get things pared down more each trip. I try to read all of the SUL and UL post here and I try to catch all of the hammock talk over there. Last night for the heck of it I tryed to fit a minimal load of gear into a Golite Ion. My ground setup would just fit. My hammock setup would not make it without some decent sized pockets added, but both set ups were around 12 pounds, but the UQ and hammock and tarp just take up more volume than the tent and pad do. Still working on it
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast