Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

The Skeptic in me needs some convincing...

OK, someone please convince me why a hammock is better than a tent and pad, at least in the weight category.

Consider:
    - Hennessy Explorer or Warbonnet Blackbird are roughly 2.5 lbs
    - Add about 0.7 to 1.0 lbs for an under quilt (which people seem to recommend)
    - Add about 0.5 to 1.0 lbs for a pad
    - Add a tarp for about 1 lb

And the end result is heavier than my tent and pad that I'm looking to replace. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Comfort. Plain and simple.

And the fact that my hammock sets up in less time than a tent, doubles as a chair and I can find far more campsites than if I was using a tent. Most people don't carry a pad and underquilt. Given those basic things, as well as many other more personal opinions, the weight savings are secondary.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Sorry just making a point, I realize after reading that that it came across as jerky. sorry.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's not better...it's just another option. It's just a tool that we, on this website, tend to think fits our needs better than a tent. So we can't convince you...if a tent fits your needs better, then use a tent. As long as you're enjoying the outdoors, it's all good.

You should try a hammock, though. B/c if you're comparing a 1/4" CCF pad to the comfort of a hammock, it's not a valid comparison. I don't know anyone who got up in the morning after sleeping on a 1/4" pad and raved about how they never thought they'd be able to camp again but those 1/4" pads are the bomb, and now they're back in the woods all because of those 1/4" pads.

If you have a tarp and CCF pad, your ground setup will be lighter. If you have a tent with bug protection, and a pad that gives some semblance of the same comfort as a hammock, it's probably inflatable...and heavier than CCF. So the weights will be very close for ground and hammock setups.

A hammocker might carry a few ounces more for the same temps...maybe 8 oz? Is 8 oz worth a great night's sleep? Only you can decide...and it's not my place to convince you.

Try a hammock and see if you're convinced. That's really the only way to answer your question.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    Sorry just making a point, I realize after reading that that it came across as jerky. sorry.
    No worries whatsoever! Keep the info coming!!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    - Hennessy Explorer or Warbonnet Blackbird are roughly 2.5 lbs
    - Add about 0.7 to 1.0 lbs for an under quilt (which people seem to recommend)
    - Add about 0.5 to 1.0 lbs for a pad
    - Add a tarp for about 1 lb
    You don't add both an underquilt and a pad. It's normally either/or. And if you use an underquilt, many use a lighter top quilt instead of a sleeping bag since you would then already be insulated beneath you.

To compare apples to apples, you need to weigh your tent+pad+bag+any ground cloth vs tarp+hammock+insulation. And when you compare like vs like for temp ratings in that manner, the hammock setup is often very similar in weight to a ground setup.

Plus, like the others say, many of us think the comfort is worth it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

A different way to think of the weights is to leave out the insulation. If you are on the ground you have a pad and sleeping bag. In a hammock you might use your sleeping bag and pad, but many go for a top quilt and under quilt with no pad and the weights come out pretty even. So really you are just comparing tent vs. hammock + tarp. Some people use tarps made of cuben fiber or spinntex to lighten their loads, and there are a few using cuben for hammocks as well. Overall, the weights can be very close and can be lighter on the hammock side depending on the setups. If you start figuring weights for two people it gets a bit more complicated.

And the comfort thing is subjective. You just have to try (a) hammock(s) to know if it right for you. I for one would choose a hammock when by myself, but will stay with tents when with my wife.

EDIT: darn it. I type slow. What AS said.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Jeff said its about what works for you. I personally have never really gotten a good nights sleep on a Thermarest on the ground. I used to always wake up with mildly sore hips and shoulders. A hammock is simply more comfortable for me. I like lounging in it (sitting perpendicular) and slowly swaying. For me weight is not the factor. Sleeping comfortably is worth any extra ounces.
    Also, even just going for a day hike I can bring a non bugnet integrated hammock like the Warbonnet Traveler (leaving the bugnet at home), set it up in a minute and have nice comfy breaks pretty much anywhere.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    My DIY hammock (with bugnet) and Spintex tarp come in at 36 oz, together.
    My DIY underquilt is as light as the Neoair (small size), has taken me to 32 degrees F. So for bottom insulation, it's a wash. I can use the same quilt on top in both tent and hammock.

Before shifting to hammocks I used to use Henry Shires fine fine tarp tents. I see now that he has a one-man tent that weighs a mere 19.5 oz, dual-using hiking poles as tent poles. What do I get for my extra pound over this minimalist tent? A much better night's sleep. Also, with my tarp (which is pretty large), a great place to sit under a wide open space when it does rain, along with my gear staying dry. I get a comfortable chair to lounge in, or read in, while in camp.

works for me!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    You can use hammocks in places you can't use tents or just tarps. And vice versa, you can use tents and tarps in places you can't use hammocks, but for backpacking the advantage is usually in favor of hammocks by quite a margin. This gives you a whole new world of camping opportunities and a great place for just lounging for a short or to wait out a quick passing shower. It's different and some people really enjoy that aspect of it.

And the weight is comparable to other camping techniques if you compare luxury styles, light weight styles, or ultralight weight styles.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast