Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hammock Stand Out of Steel Pipe?

Hey everyone... I lurk here quite a bit, but finally have an actual question that you guys could probably help me with. I'm wanting to hang a hammock in one of my bedrooms, but I rent and it's an apartment, so I can't hang from the walls or do any simple woodworking.

Anyway, I ran across this page (http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html) that showed pictures of a hammock stand made out of steel piping. This would be perfect for me, because it wouldn't require many tools, would be easy to put together in an apartment, and I only have 10 feet (just a little over actually) in the room to work with.

My question is this... does anyone know the size and diameter of the pipes used for this style of stand? And has anyone here actually built one of these? This site is the only place online I could even find this build.

I guess I should also ask if anyone can see any downside to this? I've had a $100 gift card to Lowes for almost a year now, so this would be a perfect way to spend it.

Thanks

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard.

Those stands work great. Both Ed (previously) and the Jacks from JRB use that type of stand for their display booths. Very sturdy, and break down easily.

Ed used to have the details of those in the archives of his site, but sadly it seems to have been lost to changes over time.

I'd suggest PM'ing either Pan, Smee, or NotToWorry and linking them to this thread. They can post the details of the build.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Those stands work great. Both Ed (previously) and the Jacks from JRB use that type of stand for their display booths. Very sturdy, and break down easily.

Ed used to have the details of those in the archives of his site, but sadly it seems to have been lost to changes over time.

I'd suggest PM'ing either Pan, Smee, or NotToWorry and linking them to this thread. They can post the details of the build.
    Wow, fast reply

Thanks a ton, I'll do just that...

Actually, I just checked archive.org and did a bit of searching. Found the plans here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200801241...Made+Stand.htm

Awesome... will be making this later this week.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    Actually, I just checked archive.org and did a bit of searching. Found the plans here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200801241...Made+Stand.htm

Awesome... will be making this later this week.
    Good find! Thanks!

My local hardware store will cut and thread pipe to length, freeing me from the constraints imposed by the stock lengths available at the big box stores...shouldn't be too hard to find someone like that in your area.

Also, pipe is dirty, oily, nasty stuff. Even after getting it as clean as you can, there's no way I'd put it on good flooring...I'd be looking for some carpet scraps.

Pics when you're finished!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Does anyone know if regular 1 inch diameter pipes would work fine? Both Lowes and Home Depot were sold out of the 1.25 inch pipes (at least the ones I needed), but had plenty of 1 inch pipe... not to mention the overall price would be about $50 cheaper.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Thought I haven't made one, but I am a certified pipe welder.......the 1" would work as long as your not like 500lbs. Are you getting black or galvanized? Black will start rusting on you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have built a handful of these things, they work great!
    Listen to Dblcorona, the black ones DO rust. Also, every time you take them apart, be sure to slather some household oil into the threads. You'll be happy the next time you try to take it apart.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Thought I haven't made one, but I am a certified pipe welder.......the 1" would work as long as your not like 500lbs. Are you getting black or galvanized? Black will start rusting on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have built a handful of these things, they work great!
    Listen to Dblcorona, the black ones DO rust. Also, every time you take them apart, be sure to slather some household oil into the threads. You'll be happy the next time you try to take it apart.
    Thanks guys... definitely not 500lbs (more like 175lbs). And yeah, I'm getting the galvanized.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    Does anyone know if regular 1 inch diameter pipes would work fine? Both Lowes and Home Depot were sold out of the 1.25 inch pipes (at least the ones I needed), but had plenty of 1 inch pipe... not to mention the overall price would be about $50 cheaper.
    I've been pondering...

I don't think there's any question about the 1" pipe being strong enough, but I wonder about the tees and els. Since none of the corners are braced, the fittings need to resist some considerable loads. I'm inclined to stick with Ed's design, which is well tested, but will be interested to follow this project with 1" pipe and fittings.
    Last edited by oldgringo; 07-20-2010 at 12:39.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast