Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp

Would this work for a hammock?

I'm new at this and gathering materials for my first hammock. None of the walmarts around here have fabric anymore but I was on Hancock and found this:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Green-...VVviewprod.htm

Anybody have any idea what this is? Would it by 1.9 ripstop? Would it work for a hammock or tarp? Sorry for the dumb question but like I said, Im still figuring all this out. Oh, and if this is good stuff, please leave a bolt for me...

Thanks for your help, Ted

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Not a dumb question at all. Hancock's nylon ripstop fabric is generally 1.9 oz, and I and tons of others have used it to make hammocks. Good stuff, although of course there are lighter fabrics out there. If you see ripstop at Hancock's, chances are it's the same 1.9 oz. This particular page doesn't say whether this fabric is ripstop or not. Not that it has to be ripstop of course, people make hammocks out of regular nylon and polyester as well.

Also no information on whether it's coated or not, so no way to know if you could use it for a tarp... Although I don't personally think I've seen any coated nylons at Hancock's before. Best idea is just to head on over and check it out.

Good luck!
    A good caver never loses her pack.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you want to call them and find out the weight you probably want to ask what "denair" the fabric is. They may know the "weight" but denair is a more commercial term for cataloging fabric. 70 D ~ 1.9 oz/yd. 30D ~ 1.1 oz/yd. Anything higher than that will work, but might be too heavy to use for lightweight backpacking. Personally I find nylon taffeta (a weave pattern) to be much more comfortable than ripstop. Polyester taffeta is my preferred fabric for hammocks. It has a softer "hand" (feels nicer against the skin) and does not stretch as much as nylon does.

So if you are looking for the lightest fabric it may not fit your needs but it would certainly be usable for building a hammock. You don't want a coated fabric for a hammock in any event because you want the fabric to breathe.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp
    Thanks guys, I printed that out and took it to the store. It's nylon but not rip stop. You couldn't blow through it so I'm assuming it was somewhat waterproof. Maybe it would make a good tarp?

The only ripstop they had was in a couple of shades of blue and some bright colors. I don't care much about the color but I'm a sucker for a deal. Paying 5 bucks a yard is getting up in cost to just buying one. I don't care about the weight either, I mostly canoe/kayak camp so I'm not packing gear over mountains like alot of guys.

Hammock
    Health
    Tarp
    magtax
    Insulation
    Usa
    Suspension
    magtax

Price Update

Quote Originally Posted by nonamesleft47 View Post
    Thanks guys, I printed that out and took it to the store. It's nylon but not rip stop. You couldn't blow through it so I'm assuming it was somewhat waterproof. Maybe it would make a good tarp?

The only ripstop they had was in a couple of shades of blue and some bright colors. I don't care much about the color but I'm a sucker for a deal. Paying 5 bucks a yard is getting up in cost to just buying one. I don't care about the weight either, I mostly canoe / kayak camp so I'm not packing gear over mountains like a lot of guys.
    I just checked the price, and it's on sale at $2.00 per yard, and it's green cammo. I don't necessarily need waterproof, but a tarp of this fabric beats a blue tarp if only for looks! Thinking of making a basement hammock for gear with the extra yardage...

I ordered 6 yards tonight~ Shipping is $8.95.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spikestrip; 08-16-2010 at 03:31.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

PU coated??

I have seen similar stuff at Hancocks that has a Polyurethane coating one side. If so, use it for a tarp instead.

• + New Posts