Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

I'm Rude Too... Never Into'd Myself

MedicJim got me thinking I never introduced myself when I first came here... Like to hear it here it goes:

I'm 31 from Long Island, NY and have been car camping all my life. Got the itch to go hiking as I was always facinated with the ability to be self reliant and to go where I wanted with all I needed on my back.

So 3 years ago I picked up an ALICE pack (Medium) and filled it with heavy items and off I went with over a 40lbs pack for a 5 day car camping/trail walking adventure in 2008. Darn thing was heavy and I was really trying to figure out why my balance was off.

Did some small research and picked up an 85 liter internal frame pack and upgraded my sleep system to a more packable Mountain Hardwear 32 synthetic bag.

Went on another 5 day car camping/trail adventure and sported over a 60lbs pack utilizing MRE's as my meals but was testing the mountain house meals in the field as well.

There had to be a better way so I started researching heavily and wanted to bring my pack weight down to a total of 30lbs for a 5 day adventure. I came across the Hennessey Hammock and scooped that up when it was buy 1 get a scout free.

Slept in it a total of 5 nights (2 consecutively). First night was good but then I noticed my calves were getting cramped. I began looking for another solution to my particular problem and came across the Black Bird from our Famous Shug's video review. At first I dismissed it due to the cottage industry as I was unfamiliar and apprehensive regarding small businesses. It ate at me... I gave in and emailed Brandon. Fell in love with it and the rest is history. I'm basically pimped out in Warbonnet Gear - Superfly, Big Mamajamba (will buy when the store re-opens), 2 Blackbirds (1.1 single, and 1.7 single), Both Yeti's, Both Mambas.

This year I met my mark with a 16lbs base weight and a 29lbs total pack weight for a 5 day summer excursion. Looking to trim another 3-5lbs to get a 25lbs total pack weight and getting my base weight down to about 10-12lbs. I'm at the bare bones for my comfort level so hard decisions will be made by next year.

I keep a video journal of my camping on youtube which some of you may have found: RaulPerez1 is my user name.

Other info:

I'm a CPA in a medium sized accounting firm. I specialize in audits for governmental entities (Fire Districts, School Districts) and have been doing Not-For-Profits this year as well under guidance from some top people at my firm. Passed all 4 exams each on the first shot. The test is now computerized and you can take each part seperately now. Took me 2 1/2 years to complete with 5-7 months studying 7 days a week 2 hours a day. That time is a blur to me dont ask me how I juggled work (including busy season), teaching, and family time.... I made it happen.

I'm a Nidan (second degree black belt) in Ryukyu Kempo as devised by Seiyu Oyata. I'm a 3rd generation Oyata student and have been studying for over 13 years. All of which has been for free. I have been teaching for over 8 years and have competed in various events including the first NYC Bullshido Throwdown and Missouri in the Ryukyu Kempo Alliance Bogu Kumite event (Youtube video on that). I've also met and trained with various individuals in Arnis, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Kung Fu, Capoiera (sp?), and reality based self defense based on the Richard Dimitri method of self defense (shredder).

Although my system has some ground fighting techniques I felt the need to expand and the past 6 years have been training (un ranked) in brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I started an open mat session 3 years ago in my school and a couple of my students wanted to test in competition. We grappled only 1 day a week and my 189lbs student took first in the novice and my 115lbs student took 3rd in novice in the 2009 NAGA tournament in NJ.

Ryukyu Kempo has a unique history regarding fraud by someone who wasnt even a dedicated student with Oyata which forced the name to be changed to Ryu Te. It's an interesting story I'd be happy to share in a PM.

In March of 2010 I gave up my partnership in my school and have been training on my own and a select few. Politics, babysitting the child students, and having limited access to my family forced my hand. Although I do still train on occasion at my old school but I'm no longer an active instructor or partner. Working on getting my passion back in the martial arts.

I write too much,

Raul
    aka Trail Monkey
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 07-19-2010 at 14:29.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well i will welcome you too there long winded hammocker lol

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Raul,
    I have followed your posts and it's good to learn more about the man. Thanks for posting a "hello" (after 325 posts!!!).
    Jay

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I write too much,

Raul
    aka Trail Monkey
    could be worse; could be 'Drunken Monkey'
    (all I know about Martial Arts is what I read in books- I's just funnin' you!)
    KM

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Is it too late for me to post a hello thread?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Jay - yeah I just kinda jumped on board here and started asking questions right away.

Ker - Drunken Monkey would actually be hysterical... only draw back is that I dont drink very often. Hard to hold that status

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice to hear more about you. Thank you for your 4 part HH vs BB comparison. I found it very useful (although the volume was a bit low).

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Nice to hear more about you. Thank you for your 4 part HH vs BB comparison. I found it very useful (although the volume was a bit low).
    Glad it was useful. As far as the volume I did the best I could with what equipment I had.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X12 Camo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Belated welcome Raul!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Glad it was useful. As far as the volume I did the best I could with what equipment I had.
    Sorry Raul, not a complaint. I know you were far from the camera. I could still hear you. I was just trying to place your accent and I was right.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-20-2010 at 00:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast