Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by egrant5329 View Post
    ...I would enjoy playing with one, but they aren't available in the US anymore and I don't want to pay a bunch of money to just play around with one.
    Ed
    Jefftrex is selling his for 120 Canadian Dollars. Perhaps a nice opportunity ? => look here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=chrysalis

Can't say anything about the rest. I am working on a waterproof sling to put underneath the chrysalis to put in a down UQ. When I'm done, I'll test it in the garden of my mother and put the hose on if it isn't raining to see if it's still waterproof after my adjustments.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Quote Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
    Jefftrex is selling his for 120 Canadian Dollars. Perhaps a nice opportunity ? => look here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=chrysalis
    They used to be ~$90 in the US and for what I want to do with it I don't want to pay that much. If I were going to use the hammock then it would be different.

Now that I have finally worked out the best flatness and width on my bridge, I'll start making bridge #4 next weekend and then will start work on one for my 8yo. I also will do the UQ for them this winter.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, I've got an original one (not the newer one), if there's anything I can do for you (pictures, measurements) just ask. This is a good hammock, but it could be even better, so I'm all for helping someone out that wants to make a DIY alternative.

For one, the length between the two spreaders could be a bit longer, it's a bit short for my liking. I don't think the weird hammock shape does anything, since the new version doesn't even have it any more. The hammock should come with woopies as a standard, not all that nylon. I've also added in two parts of a child's toy hoop to put on top of the ridge-line and underneath the tent, so the "tent" is rounder at the top. And an additional layer to put in a down UQ would be nice too instead of the new "double layer" the newer tent has that just fits a mat. I'm making one, the tent that velcro's to the bottom now, will velcro to the waterproof bag and the bag sticks to the hammock velcro. Not sure if it'll work, but I'll let ya know if ya want to.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Admittedly I am intrigued by the chrysalis video. For as flat as the cut is it looks really stable when the girl leans out, but it also appears that they don't have it stretched tight.

With my bridges I can get them fairly flat from side to side, but I have to stretch it tight to get it flat end to end. When I pull it tight I lose quite a bit of stability.

I was hoping the odd side cuts were allowing a less taunt hang while providing a more flat lay end to end. I didn't realize the dropped that aspect of the design.
    Ed

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Egrant, if your talking about the video I am thinking about its the old model she is hanging out of. I remember finding the patent for the Chrysalis and it was a really funky shape. I'm not sure if that's what was used but it really was a weird design.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Jazilla,
    The patent shape is what I was referring to. With the sides cut that way I would assume it would affect the lay unless it was stretchy material.

In mine the heavier regions of my body distort the cat curve and I thought the offset cuts on the sides might be an attempt to change that or flatten the lay.
    Ed

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Problem is, the chrysalis is the only bridge hammock I own... So I can't really compare it to another bridge hammock. If anybody is willing to donate an old unused bridge hammock to a hammock charity case (me) I'll be more than willing to do a thorough comparison. Or else, of course, I could take some pictures of the hammock alone with someone laying in it so you can compare the hammock profile to another bridge hammock, but that wouldn't give me a cool freebie like another hammock.

The chrysalis is really comfy to me though and when I tighten the lines enough it gives me a nice flat lay. Which seems to be the case with other bridge hammocks as well. If it helps at all, I'm 5,94feet and weigh 145,5 pounds. As stated, the length between the stretcher bars could be a bit more. When I lay on my back my feet go into the foot storage area. Good thing that most of the time I'm a side sleeper with my legs pulled up somewhat.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Kreecher,
    When you pull it tight to get the flat lay, do you loose much of the stability? In the video with the model it wasn't tight at all, nor did it look anywhere near flat enough to lay on your stomach.

Looking at the design of the chrysalis it looks like your feet are supposed to go under the foot spreader bar. It seems like the benefit is a shorter cat curve on the side, more support and it shortens the entire system.

You most likely wouldn't like one of my previous bridges compared to the chrysalis unless you have really narrow shoulders. They followed Grizz's videos and use a 36" header and 28" footer.

It's funny but I really liked my 1st Bridge until about the 4th time I slept in it and then the shoulder squeeze started bothering me. My 2nd was a cosmetically better version of my 1st bridge. My 3rd Bridge followed more closely to the chrysalis with a 39" header (arc ratio of ~1.1) and a 30" footer. Unfortunately I had a brain fart and made it too short. Fortunately, I noticed it before I did the endcaps and bug screen which are the hardest part of doing a bridge. My 4th will have a 39" header and a 36" footer and will maintain the shallow ratio like the chrysalis. The wider spreader bars necessitate longer suspension triangles so the trees have to be even further apart, but I think it will help a little with the stability. I am a little afraid to put my legs under my spreader bar because I am using ultralite segmented carbon fiber bars and I am afraid I might hit them in the night and break them or something.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Kreecher,
    When you pull it tight to get the flat lay, do you loose much of the stability? In the video with the model it wasn't tight at all, nor did it look anywhere near flat enough to lay on your stomach.
    Well, I don't feel unstable in it. IMO it's easier to get into when tighter and I haven' gotten the feeling of tipping over. But I do often use two guy-lines (with shock cord in them), since the tent catches quite some wind.

Tarps haven't won me over completely yet. I like my privacy and the tarp I use for my eno and fitted with doors is so big 'n heavy... I do like the "all in one" idea of the chrysalis. The lighter tarps don't give me the privacy I look for, but I do like my new down UQ that fits my eno so nicely a lot. Hope my idea for attaching the UQ to the chrysalis will work and make me a happy camper. Choices, choices,... Ah well.

Looking at the design of the chrysalis it looks like your feet are supposed to go under the foot spreader bar. It seems like the benefit is a shorter cat curve on the side, more support and it shortens the entire system.
    You may be right on that one, but my fear is the same as yours. I'm very wary of kicking the bar. 's Why I'd like a longer one. ;D So far that hasn't happened and it's probably because the hammock is looser at the foot end because of the shorter spreader there. I have taken an inch from the head spreader bar though, the fabric felt too tight. First time I got in, like many, I placed my head at the foot end and that was mighty comfy. When I turned the right way, the fabric was too tight. Hence the inch.

You're a bridge veteran compared to me. If DIY materials were cheaper around here and I could actually find them easier, I'd try a DIY bridge too. Btw, the thing I absolutely love in the chrysalis is the fact that they used the room in between the suspension triangles to make some storage, ingenious.

I guess I do have quite narrow shoulders, but my same width hips make up for that. It's my hips that made me look for something else than a floor to sleep on. I like the coziness of a tent, but I could never sleep on those camping mat things without waking up several times because of the pain.

Your idea for a shallower DIY bridge sounds good. Never picked a bridge because they looked annoying to get in and out of because of the depth and they looked a bit restrictive for a curling-up side sleeper. The chrysalis seemed overall a lot flatter for a bridge and I took the chance on it, haven't regretted it. I'm very interested in your DIY design.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Since I am in New England, I would call your Chrysalis a "covered" bridge.

I like the use of the head suspension triangle as storage. I make my end caps ~6" deep for the same reason, but they can't hold nearly as much as the chrysalis. I have thought about making the storage on mine like the chrysalis,but I am trying to stay minimalistic for weight purposes.

For me the test of stability is to pull it as flat as you can get it the sit up and touch your toes. Also roll over on your stomach. If you can easily do both of those without grabbing the sides to balance it, then you are stable.
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast