Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Webbing + Whoopies

Army Poncho as TQ

I seem to be trying to find 101 uses for my new Army poncho. A couple of nights ago it was my tarp, last night it was my top quilt (top sheet might be more accurate).

Just a note, the lows where in the upper 60's. I had my poncho liner as my UQ and I'm a relatively cold sleeper.

I started the night with it off and slowly it crept up until this morning, when I awoke, it was fully covering me and quite warm. I am curious whether I could go down to 60 with that cover and perhaps a long sleeve shirt.

Of course, it is actually a pretty goofy idea as the main purpose of the poncho is for it to get wet as it keeps me dry. What happens if caught in a storm just before setting up camp? I guess lay the poncho over the ridgeline and hope it dries before needing it as a top sheet? Better yet, bring something else for the top sheet!
    “the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth" - Chief Seattle

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I seem to be trying to find 101 uses for my new Army poncho. A couple of nights ago it was my tarp, last night it was my top quilt (top sheet might be more accurate).

Just a note, the lows where in the upper 60's. I had my poncho liner as my UQ and I'm a relatively cold sleeper.

I started the night with it off and slowly it crept up until this morning, when I awoke, it was fully covering me and quite warm. I am curious whether I could go down to 60 with that cover and perhaps a long sleeve shirt.

Of course, it is actually a pretty goofy idea as the main purpose of the poncho is for it to get wet as it keeps me dry. What happens if caught in a storm just before setting up camp? I guess lay the poncho over the ridgeline and hope it dries before needing it as a top sheet? Better yet, bring something else for the top sheet!
    Hiya Gob! I use an old Army poncho. I pitch a low ridge line, or attach a ridge line to the hammock, and use the poncho as a sort of close-in tent. I find that it adds about 10 degrees of warmth. Example, last night I slept in it, it was 69 below and 80 inside my sorta poncho tent. 80 is warm enough for me that no TQ was needed. If it is colder, then I need wear jacket on top, and cover my legs and tummy with an old down bag.

Light rain is no problem. Haven't tried heavy rain and wind though so YMMV.

Also, I use a sleep sack for traveling and hosteling. I am thinking of making a very light sleep sack out of clothing liner material as a lightweight sheet for hot hot days. Since I don't have a bug net, I plan to soak the thing in permetherin and sew in some tulle or noseeum. If I make the project, I'll post it here.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Webbing + Whoopies
    Hey Lizzie,

That's an interesting point. The same idea as having a hammock sock, just that it lets you dump a TQ all together in summer, which was my goal. I'll see if I can't give that a try tonight.

BTW, I bought 3 yards of black tulle for $5 from the local fabric store and it works great as a bug net.
    “the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth" - Chief Seattle

• + New Posts