HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Sleeping temp rating on bags used with thin CCF

Hello all

I’m new to this whole Hammock world and I gotta say I cannot wait to start hanging to sleep.

I’m in Australia and most of the time our conditions are not as cold as you get so sorting out which pad/sleeping arrangement gets a bit confusing…..

As soon as he’s back only I’ll be ordering a Blackbird Double 1.0 and I think a thin pad will suffice for the general temps I’ll be sleeping in. Weather conditions will vary from a worst case 3∘C to a more likely 15-20∘C mark on average. I’ll not be using the hammock in winter.

Should I up (Or should that say down .) the rating of sleeping bag I’ll be using. I know it will be trial and error but I’m a real minimalist on gear so was hoping to try a 1/8” CCF pad first with a good sleeping bag.

Would a -5∘C rated down sleeping bag suffice for 15∘C night temps with a slight breeze when used with a very thin 1/8’ CCF pad ??

Any help appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post
    Hello all

I’m new to this whole Hammock world and I gotta say I cannot wait to start hanging to sleep.

I’m in Australia and most of the time our conditions are not as cold as you get so sorting out which pad/sleeping arrangement gets a bit confusing…..

As soon as he’s back only I’ll be ordering a Blackbird Double 1.0 and I think a thin pad will suffice for the general temps I’ll be sleeping in. Weather conditions will vary from a worst case 3∘C [37.4∘F] to a more likely 15-20∘C [59-68∘F] mark on average. I’ll not be using the hammock in winter.

Should I up (Or should that say down .) the rating of sleeping bag I’ll be using. I know it will be trial and error but I’m a real minimalist on gear so was hoping to try a 1/8” CCF pad first with a good sleeping bag.

Would a -5∘C [23∘F] rated down sleeping bag suffice for 15∘C [59∘F] night temps with a slight breeze when used with a very thin 1/8’ CCF pad ??

Any help appreciated.
    My brain isn't working at full efficiency at this early hour, so I edited the OP with Fahrenheit equivalents for us Yanks. Unfortunately, I have no answers for you...just thought I'd help others be lazy.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post

Would a -5∘C rated down sleeping bag suffice for 15∘C night temps with a slight breeze when used with a very thin 1/8’ CCF.
    Ok, you've basicly answered your own question!!

What I've found is that I need more insulation under than on top so perhaps your idea of uping (or downing ) the rating on the sleeping bag should be changed to uping (or downing ) the pad that you're gonna use under you.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think a 1/8 pad will be ok for the upper end of those temps, and could be ok for the lower end depending on how you sleep. A 1/8" pad is a little difficult to keep under you b/c it's so thin, though.

Fortunately, pads are cheap so you can experiment with a 1/8" and a 1/4" pad.

You'll likely find the bigger issue is keeping your shoulders and hips insulated b/c the hammock will compress the insulation as it wraps around you. Do a search for 'segmented pad extender' or SPE for more info.

Your sleeping bag should be fine if you have appropriate bottom insulation.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts