Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    My buckles and chain link s came in from AHE (thanks!) and I have tried my idea on one end. No weight applied yet, still have to thread the centerline and install the end caps & snakeskins.

But it looks like it will work.

One niggling worry: One Big Guy vs a single piece of Amsteel passing through the buckles. Yes, I know it is as strong as steel. Yes, I know it is abrasion-resistant. But I still have this gnawing feeling that the buckle end could use a thimble or a reinforcing sleeve.

Hold my hand. Reassure me.

Jim
    I am in the process of converting my HH to straps. Could you explain how you attached your chain link to the hammock? Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Jim, it looks just right. No worry's some of the biggest guys out there are now hanging on them just as you have in your picture. With these buckles you do not want to larks head them as the plates need to have more free movement then a larks head would allow. Then need to be able to slide with no constriction on them. They have been tested up to the failure rating of the amsteel and webbing always broke first. Also the free slide on the buckles is what allows them to not need a back up knot, and for safest use you should not use one. It can twist the webbing in the plates and cause them to fail. Have fun and get that rig hung up.

Paul
    Good info Paul. Like AS, I would have been inclined to suggest a larks head attachment but as usual you've done your homework and determined what works best with your hardware.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Partial test - successful.

Today I had just enough time to set the HH up, adjust the buckles. sit in it as a chair, adjust the buckles for stretch, re-sit, and de-set everything and run for my car to hide from the torrential downpour/thunder/lightning storm. Been raining ever since.

Buckles from AHE? Good. Easy to adjust. Total non-slip and no need for a slippery half hitch as Paul predicted.

Chain Links from AHE? Good. I was surprised at how little actual tightening about the gather actually took place. I really didn't have enough time to swing & sway, but the whole system is very low stretch. And that is with a Big Guy hanging on single sections of polypro webbing.

Diab: Look closely at the picture in my original post. The free bight of the Chain Link essentially follows the path of the original HH threading. Through the hole closest to the end, through the second hole, around the gathered fabric, through the first hole in the opposite diretion of the initial threading, and the bight loops over the buckle bight.

I suggest taking pictures of the HH knot, or at least making sketches. It looks confusing, but makes sense when done.

Jim

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Hello, jsaults, my Pnet brethren. Thanks for the great idea--I have been getting ready to place an order with AHE for some gear, and I own two HHs, and I think the rope chains (love the video on AHE's website proving that they can be hung from, even Paul on the wall), and the cinch buckles. Should be fine! I'm also thinking of an AHE underquilt for my HH. (maybe one for each?), esp if I can use it for the ENO double or single nests. But I have quite a bit of research to do on what I want before placing a jumbo order. Also, I'm comparing with JRB, which has some neat UQ's. I wonder if AHE will have another sale like this past Memorial Day in the future. Anyhow, AHE and JRB and others sure make sweet gear for our HHs. Too bad we don;t live closer, jsaults, to paddle and hang. CD1

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Bummer on the rain
    So many of US were holding your hand...
    We ar ready!

Tom
    ps I use the CINCH BUCKLES from AHE and am REALLY PLEASED with my rig

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Coolkayaker1:

Well, one of these days.....seems that folks in the P-Net world have a way of running into one another sooner or later.

I am Pleased as Punch with the buckles and Chain Links from AHE. As I said, there wsa very little slippage/tightening of the wrap around the gather after I weighted the hannock twice. I am guessing that this is due to the inherant slipperyness of the Amsteel line - it allowed me to take most of the slip out of the system by hand when I initially made the conversion.

I think I will replace the zip-ties of the HH "end caps" with either cord or shock cord to allow easy inspection of the conversion ("Trust, but verify!").

And I finally got around to watching the video on the AHE site of the Chain Link demo. Now THERE is a man who trusts his accessories!

Jim

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    jsaults--Yes, when you get around to making those HH mods, do post a photo.

One question, though. I think those cinch buckles work on same principle as garda hitch, right. If so (or even if not), doesn't that damage the amsteel over time. Wear out the rope. I know it's just rope, but still, and wondering if failure of system could occur when the amsteel shreds, limiting it's lbs. rating.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Sort of like Garda, but

it is the webbing that is following a convoluted path. The Amsteed simply looops through the buckles. The AHE buckles appear to be water-jet cut, but the inner triangle part where the Amsteel rests has been nicely rounded and contoured where wear might occur. Time will tell.

I have a pic at home and willl pst this eve.

Jim

Edit: Ooops. I thought that I took more pics before the rain set in, but I did not.
    Last edited by Jsaults; 07-27-2010 at 19:35.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

07-27-2010 it's past this evening.

Awaiting photographs of the whole shebang

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12