DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have been looking at the different types of strap materials out there and managed to get my self confused (not hard to do) on which material is a best or bettter choice than the others to use.

Flat Nylon
    Heavyweight Polypropylene
    Lightweight Polypropylene
    Patterned Polyester
    Military flat nylon webbing
    Mil spec 4088
    Tubular Webbing

Is there one material that is that much better than the others, pros/cons on streach, wear, weight ect, better for certain types of hanging than others ?

What do the hammock makers like to use ?
    I prefer Polypropylene webbing. Many have mentioned the sag or stretch that nylon has. Of course this will be more noticeable the more webbing you have out. Another disadvantage of nylon is that it absorbs water. So if you are backpacking you are carrying more weight after a rain. Tubular nylon is also overkill in terms of strength IMO.
    I just finished a new set of tree straps made of 1 inch polypro which I got for 65 cents a yard. 3, 4, and 6 foot finished lengths with a two inch loop sewn in to each end using a 3 inch sew pattern of longitudinal stitching.

Straps

I'll be happy to make you any strap you need or sell you some.
    http://www.readystrap.com

Personally I use polyester because of the low stretch. In my tester a 30" piece stretched about 4 inches under a 3000 pound load. The same size nylon stretched 14 inches.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Hey guys, this may be a dumb question but I have a hennessy expedition and they've sent me a few different types of strap and I'm curious if anyone might know what they give out. One set is more like how the webbing on a backpack feels and the other feels like seat belt material.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Hey guys, this may be a dumb question but I have a hennessy expedition and they've sent me a few different types of strap and I'm curious if anyone might know what they give out. One set is more like how the webbing on a backpack feels and the other feels like seat belt material.

Thanks
    If it looks and feels like seatbelt webbing it is most likely polyester. Kind of soft slippery and shiny. Poly is usually softer then nylon against the skin. The other stuff could be anything but if it came with a hammock then I'd say it is probably polyester or polypropylene.

It's hard to tell nylon and poly apart except that the ends of poly webbing will fray. Some stitcher's will fold the ends, others will cover them. Some will not bother with either.
    Look here and see if you can ident it. http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/catalog/?category=146

Good luck.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you NHpathfinder. You sounded spot on with the seatbelt looking straps. I'm mainly curious because I will deffenitly need some longer straps than 42" so knowing what I currently use and have already tested should help. The other straps are much more stff and almost plasticy. I'm on my phone so when I get home ill check out that link you sent me so I can see the pictures better. Thanks again

Hammock
    Nomad's Land XXL / DD
    Tarp
    DD XL / 3x3
    Insulation
    Mat
    Suspension
    webbing + biners
    I'm using climbing tube tape: 1 - 19mm with a breaking strain of 1000lbs
    2 - 26mm with a breaking strain if 1600lbs (this one is slippery...hope I don't have the same experience as earlier on in this thread and end up with my *** on the floor).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    I'm using climbing tube tape: 1 - 19mm with a breaking strain of 1000lbs
    2 - 26mm with a breaking strain if 1600lbs (this one is slippery...hope I don't have the same experience as earlier on in this thread and end up with my *** on the floor).
    I would imagine anything with a breaking strength above 600 pounds would be ok. Some people I know are even using 300 pound cord, thinking they only weigh 200 pounds. Thats a bit close figuring for me. I use 2500 PT poly because it's nice and flexible and light.
    I found out in my test machine though that it will break at half its strength if it has a knot in it. The same probably is true for your climbing tape.

Similar story about the *** and floor but in my case it was the face and ground. Dog jumped up to say hello and spun my hammock sometime around midnight one night.
    Ya know, it hurts to fall straight down face first.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123