Hi everyone,

First post here - i'm inexperienced with hammocks, ropes, knot tying and the like - but I did a bit of searching around and I dont see anyone doing it the way I am.

I'm working on a DIY hammock (with whipped ends) and the way I've set it up (for simplicity's sake) is to have a single line that attaches the hammock to the trees (via straps) and also serves as the ridgeline. I've attached this line to the end of the hammocks using a prusik knot. The hope is that when the hammock is not loaded, it should be quite easy to remove, and according to wikipedia it doesnt damage the rope (read: hammock) it's attached to.

This seems to work ok for me and is super simple... I'm wondering why I dont see more of this set up around here. Everyone else seems to be doing complex things with rings and carabiners - is it that much better? Or is there a fatal flaw in my setup that will leave me with a broken tailbone?

As I said, I dont have much experience with this - at the moment all I've done slept on the street (or just off it, near my apartment) with my hammock in different configurations the last few nights. No accidents yet but it's time to speak up on the forums and get some proper advice

Hello to you all!
Cheesun