I've been thinking it would be pretty cool to have a singe-point suspension hammock, but have been unimpressed with what is out there...the Bat, by Claytor, maxes out under my weight class, so that's off the table...
I woke up this morning with an idea of how to do it:
Jamie's Dumb Idea
1) take my Grand Trunk Double, and remove all of the suspension from it
2) make a frame of 1" PVC piping: two pieces @ 2 foot, two pieces @ 4 foot, four pieces of 90 degree angles with 3 holes
3) thread the 4' sides of the frame into the sleeves of the GT double (the 2' sides will hold the hammock a bit apart)
4) run 1/2" rope through the frame and out of the extra holes in the 90 degree angle connectors
5) connect the 2 sets of suspension ropes overhead with a carabiner
6) use a piece of nylon webbing for hanging off of the overhead suspension point
I'm going to try it this afternoon or tomorrow, will take too many pictures, and post them as the work progresses...
Jamie - nfa