Hammock
    ENO Single

DIY Tarp Questions and Info

Most likely there is a post that covers this already, but I was unable find the info ...

Maybe someone could direct me to the correct places or assist with:

What would it cost to make a tarp DIY (approx 6x8)? Material costs?

Where to buy material? Wal Mart or online?

What type material should be used? Is sill nylon the best way to go or is there a cheaper version for a first timer?

Is there a certain weight material or product information that I should confirm before purchasing?? This is why I've not tried before, I'm certain that I'd buy the wrong stuff.

What is a reasonable cost per yard for sill nylon or other said material?

Where can I find a link to paterns and/or directions?

Overall, I know someone with superior tools and skills. Should I find a 'cat cut' design that I 'must have', I could always have him produce the piece and kick him some cash for his craftmanship.

Any links or advice is appreciated. My old tarp has a few holes. I'll be patching and sealing this afternoon. Ergh.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    Most likely there is a post that covers this already, but I was unable find the info ...

Maybe someone could direct me to the correct places or assist with:

What would it cost to make a tarp DIY (approx 6x8)? Material costs?

Where to buy material? Wal Mart or online?

What type material should be used? Is sill nylon the best way to go or is there a cheaper version for a first timer?
    I *highly* recommend SilNylon! It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do you'll be cruising and having a good time with your tarp. I just finished mine.... no regrets!

It is cheap too, if you get it from the right place. Call the folks at Noah Lamport fabrics -- don't be fooled, they don't have it on their website, you have to call and ask for it. I ordered 25 yds and with shipping and cutting cost, it came out to $4/yd (TOTAL)... that is a great price!

6x8 seems a bit small... are you sure that is the right size you want? regardless, to figure out how much fabric, you'll need to do some math.

This fabric is 64" wide (from noahlamport.com ) and 1 yd = 3ft. So for a 5.5x8 tarp, you'll need ~3 yds of fabric... to get the full 6ft you'd need to sew two sides together.

Is there a certain weight material or product information that I should confirm before purchasing?? This is why I've not tried before, I'm certain that I'd buy the wrong stuff.

What is a reasonable cost per yard for sill nylon or other said material?

Where can I find a link to paterns and/or directions?
    Not sure about patterns...... you'll have to poke around here (and other websites). What shape are you going for? at 6x8 i'm assuming a diamond type of deal?

Overall, I know someone with superior tools and skills. Should I find a 'cat cut' design that I 'must have', I could always have him produce the piece and kick him some cash for his craftmanship.

Any links or advice is appreciated. My old tarp has a few holes. I'll be patching and sealing this afternoon. Ergh.

I also HIGHLY recommend the cat cuts. I was on the fence about making them, as this was my first DIY project. Like I said before.... no regrets here. Don't get me wrong - it was a challenging project, but I am *very* glad I made the choices I did, and I'd do them again in a heartbeat.

good luck, and post up some pics when you're done!!

• + New Posts