Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    does anyone know where I could look at some pictures of underquilts attached to ENO hammocks?
    Turk, here ya go. That's my son's ENO DoubleNest I was using at Hot Springs in April with a prototype Speer SnugFit that Ed was nice enough to let me use for evaluation purposes. It's definitely the UQ that sets the standard.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I just added a picture from this past weekend to my gallery.

We camped at Ray Roberts State Park in North Texas. The temps were in the 60's at night. I used a fleece (prolly 100 weight) that I picked up for 2.74/yd at Walmart.

I'm going to add a ridge line to my setup to get a more consistant hang. Other than that, it was very comfortable. Not as roomy as my HH, but easier to get in and out.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Last weekend I used a Hennessy (HH) Super Shelter undercover and underpad (that's for a Ultralight Backpacker A-sym) with my ENO Doublenest. Here are some photos.

It worked OK. The ENO-D is not very warm by itself due to the fabric. The HH Super Shelter (SS) blocked wind from blowing through the ENO fabric. The HH SS was a little too short for the ENO but it was wide enough. I was afraid the shortness may bust out some seams on the ends of the HH SS but after examination it did not seem that this would be a problem.

I used this rig while camping on a grouse hunting trip on state forest near Husum, WA in the southern part of state. It was warm that night. Probably did not drop down below 45 degrees with little wind. I did not have a tarp strung up over the hammock and did not use a space blanket as HH advises for colder temps. It was warm and comfortable at that mild temp and with little wind. The HH SS added atleast 10 degrees of warmth, if not more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Last weekend I used a Hennessy (HH) Super Shelter undercover and underpad (that's for a Ultralight Backpacker A-sym) with my ENO Doublenest. ...............

It worked OK. The ENO-D is not very warm by itself due to the fabric. The HH Super Shelter (SS) blocked wind from blowing through the ENO fabric. The HH SS was a little too short for the ENO but it was wide enough. I was afraid the shortness may bust out some seams on the ends of the HH SS but after examination it did not seem that this would be a problem.

I used this rig while camping on a grouse hunting trip on state forest near Husum, WA in the southern part of state. It was warm that night. Probably did not drop down below 45 degrees with little wind. I did not have a tarp strung up over the hammock and did not use a space blanket as HH advises for colder temps. It was warm and comfortable at that mild temp and with little wind. The HH SS added atleast 10 degrees of warmth, if not more.
    Great report. Amazing that you got that ( shorter SS for ULBP) to work with the pretty darn long ENO! (My Explorer SS should fit much better.) And you did 45*F without even a SB or tarp. And no other pad? I think that is a great result.

You might be a very warm sleeper. But if you are a normal or cold sleeper, and used no other pad, it sounds more like it added about 25*F, even without an SB. Based on the fact that most folks apparently get cold below 70 without some kind of pad. But like you said, 10* if not MORE.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-15-2008 at 22:27.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Amazing that you got that ( shorter SS for ULBP) to work with the pretty darn long ENO! (My Explorer SS should fit much better.) And you did 45*F without even a SB or tarp. And no other pad? I think that is a great result.

You might be a very warm sleeper. But if you are a normal or cold sleeper, and used no other pad, it sounds more like it added about 25*F, even without an SB. Based on the fact that most folks apparently get cold below 70 without some kind of pad. But like you said, 10* if not MORE.
    The ENO-D is long, longer than the HH undercover. The ends of the hammock stick out beyond the HH undercover (see pic) which I worried about. I was worried the hammock would press out the ends of the HH underquilt and stretch out and possibly bust out its seams. That did not happen. But, I only slept in this rig one night. More experimentation may yield different results (it seems every night in a hammock as a newby is an experiment).

I forgot to mention that I did have a Cascade Designs Z-Rest and an old LL Bean wool jacket underneath me.

It seems that your HH Explorer SS undercover will be a better fit for the ENO-D.

The temp may have been in the upper 40s. That's an estimate. I didn't wake up at like 5 am to check the thermometer. I don't think I'm a warm sleeper since it seems most camping gear manufacturer's claims seem to be in line with my experiences.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock joe View Post
    i was wander if any one has made or knows of an under quilt or pea pod that fits an eagles nest hammock.

thank you for your time.
    i found an earlier speer prototype pea pod rated to 50 degrees, obviously not the one he is currently selling. probably has similar dimensions.

however, it is dank on my eno double nest. i was about to give up hammocking til i got this thing. then i lived in it for a month!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12