Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8mice View Post
    Love the Brooks saddle! Very nice set up.

I'm currently running a flip flop hub with the fixed side at 17t and the freewheel at 19t...49t chainring. It's moderately hilly where I live and let me tell you, I was cooked after pulling that trailer for 3 hours in 90 degree heat. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39934922
    Looking at the picture I see that I've changed my setup quite a bit since... I've changed the crankset to a MTB setup with lower gearing (in that pic I have a 105 crankset w/ a 26 tooth small ring installed), I've changed the bar tape to sewn on leather, raised the bars, I've added a FOURTH water bottle holder (in addition to a bladder in one of the front bags, I hate running out of water on 100+ degree days!), and of course I lose the tent (the green stuffsack) and pad (blue roll), but it's replaced by underquilt and hammock, so not really that much smaller.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Here's my touring setup:

That was before I converted to hammock, but this pic is from a tour with the hammock:

I take two old Cannondale panniers and tie my sandals, sleeping bag & Big Agnes Aircore on the rack & 2 water bottles. And I fit everything in that I would be backpacking with.

It looks like you even got the kitchen sink so I gotta ask (without sounding rude or anything) but what are you packing?

I was on the C&O Canal and guys had front & rear panniers AND a trailer. I wanted to stop one of them and ask 'what the heck is all that?'

Are you road biking or off road?
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I take two old Cannondale panniers and tie my sandals, sleeping bag & Big Agnes Aircore on the rack & 2 water bottles. And I fit everything in that I would be backpacking with.

It looks like you even got the kitchen sink so I gotta ask (without sounding rude or anything) but what are you packing?

I was on the C&O Canal and guys had front & rear panniers AND a trailer. I wanted to stop one of them and ask 'what the heck is all that?'

Are you road biking or off road?
    My pack weight ends up being about the same as when hiking, just spread out more to distribute the weight better. I do carry a lot more food and water because I do 70+ miles per day in very remote and dry areas and I usually go mid summer when it's over 100 degrees every day. I'd have to pull out my packing list to remember for sure, but the front bags usually have only food and water, the handlebar bag has my small items (camera, wallet, knife, pepper spray, book, notepad, compass, maps, etc), and the rear bags are the equivalent of my normal hiking gear (clothes, sleeping bag, etc). Don't forget that I also have to carry, in addition to the normal first aid, tools and parts such as tubes, nuts, bolts, spokes, etc (which has come in handy). The stuff on top of the rack in that pic includes a tent (no longer!), sleeping pad, tarp, and sandals.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is kind of why I wanted a hammock, figured I could cut the weight from the tent. Still think that is the case but it will have to be a summer trip so I can ditch the bag. I read Singletrack magazine and see the Brits mbiking with trailers in tow, not sure I want to try that where I live. Thanks for starting this thread, going to check out those links and make this happen soon. ONe thing I have done is pack in, set up camp, pack out and get the bike. That lets me ride to the camp site, which is already set up, spend the night, get another ride in the next day and then come back. On the Ozark Trail we have another option, which is to take the shuttle to the beginning and ride back to your camp.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Stopped at Barnes & Noble yesterday and wouldn't ya know it, the latest issue of Dirt Rag magazine covers bike camping, even reviews a Hennessy hanger. There's trip reports and gear reviews. http://www.dirtragmag.com/ is the Web site, but the features aren't there. Guess you gotta buy the real thing.

touring with hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Yep... I do multi day tour every year. I discovered hammocks after too much pain sleeping on the ground. I do stealth camping and my only concern with the hammock is that it's harder to hide, so I avoid bright colored materials. Depending where you ride, sometimes it's easier to find trees than flat areas too.
    I am trying to get ready for a trip to So.Cal. on my Bruce Gordon "Rock and Road" bicycle. I have a tent, but I am now discovering hammocks. Hmm.., I would like to ask for any info from you, (anyone) about which kind, brand, set up that you feel is optimal for my endeavor. I was thinking of Hennesy, then found the Warbird and Eno. Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm a bicycle tourer too. Here are three pictures from a trip through Banff and Jasper national parks in Canada -- nice spot to bicycle and hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great Pictures

Thankyou for your thoughts and reply. I am so new at this I did not know how to find or if I had replies to my posts. I accidently bumpped into these. Thankyou again, I will read more and learn. Douglas

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I kick myself

whenever I think about all the nights touring that I could have been in a hammock. Mentally evaluating the campsites for suitable trees.....only can remember one site, in a cornfield, where I would have had to go to ground.

I am an infrequent tourer nowadays, and now I drag a BOB trailer behind my MTB or cross bike on short trips. ANd always with a hammock.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dougyster View Post
    Thankyou for your thoughts and reply. I am so new at this I did not know how to find or if I had replies to my posts. I accidently bumpped into these. Thankyou again, I will read more and learn. Douglas

At the top of each thread of "Thread Tools" -- there you can subscribe to a thread or change the subscription to email updates so you can be alerted when new replies are provided.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123