Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The cost of that minimal tarp is built into the price versus other options. You could just as easily buy a WB, or an ENO, or whatever and still have money left to buy a tarp sized like the Clark's.
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards
    A) Your point is?
    My point is that a Clark tarp that goes unused is wasted money. If someone replaces it with a different tarp, they would be better off to spend the money on it up front, rather than giving it to Clark as part of a 'package' that gets modded anyway.

Most all of them come with a workable suspension.
    A) Then why not use it instead?
    Many do. Other folks change out their suspensions because they like to tinker, not from necessity.

A) True, but it's ready out of the box. Nothing else to buy. How about your WB, do you have to buy or make anything additional in order to use it, like a tarp?
    I have quite a few hammocks, only one of which is a WB. Each of those is modular, and I can mix or match tarps/insulation among them as I choose. The pieces were chosen individually on their merits, not being part of a kit.

I think modularity is more useful and ultimately cost-effective than a pre-defined kit. I think Clark would do well to sell their gear that way in addition to the existing packages.

Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    When you cut thru the chase; as it were, it is more capable straight from the box and that's the foundation of this discussion---isn't it!
    No, the OP didn't ask about 'from the box' capability. He asked for opinions about a setup for the PCT. Your responses seem to disdain the piece-by-piece model of how hammock gear is sold, so I'm just providing a counter opinion.

Happy Hanging...no matter what hammock you choose!

To the OP- we're sorry for this topic-deviation. A Clark is a good option of you want an 'all in one' package. Or, look elsewhere if you want to pick your parts to suit.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    See, the hammockers fall into a couple subgroups themselves. I like getting stuff ala carte and mix and matching - the Clark and Hennessy folks like their All in One deals.

I rolled my eyes and went straight for the Blackbird after trying a Hennessy - my own combo of preferences and needs leads me to want room to sprawl, toss and turn without feeling like I am in a tube. (Before the Clark users jump all over me, sorry, I am claustrophobic, and the Clark may feel okay to you but I can tell you for certain it will never be for me... one of those subjective preference things) I like flexibility and open space. I like the diagonal and the shelf. I like the double layer and the use of the pad - have gone to ground twice, using only the tarp (no bugs, was late in the year) and the hammock in its stuff sack made a good pillow.

Your perfect hammock may vary. But there's nothing like being at 9,000 feet and watching the sun come up over a subalpine lake while the marmots and squirrels run around and the osprey carries a fish past... Just get yourself some longer tree straps, the trees get big.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    See, the hammockers fall into a couple subgroups themselves. I like getting stuff ala carte and mix and matching - the Clark and Hennessy folks like their All in One deals.

I rolled my eyes and went straight for the Blackbird after trying a Hennessy - my own combo of preferences and needs leads me to want room to sprawl, toss and turn without feeling like I am in a tube. (Before the Clark users jump all over me, sorry, I am claustrophobic, and the Clark may feel okay to you but I can tell you for certain it will never be for me... one of those subjective preference things) I like flexibility and open space. I like the diagonal and the shelf. I like the double layer and the use of the pad - have gone to ground twice, using only the tarp (no bugs, was late in the year) and the hammock in its stuff sack made a good pillow.

Your perfect hammock may vary. But there's nothing like being at 9,000 feet and watching the sun come up over a subalpine lake while the marmots and squirrels run around and the osprey carries a fish past... Just get yourself some longer tree straps, the trees get big.
    Well put. I will say this though, from what I've seen and read, the new Clark's NX 150 and NX 250 solve the claustrophobic feeling some users get. Very roomy hammocks.

Like the rest of us, you'll more than likely try many different brands and setups, especially if you're a gear junkie and you "jones" a lot.

What ever your purchase, I hope all goes well for you.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    My point is that a Clark tarp that goes unused is wasted money. If someone replaces it with a different tarp, they would be better off to spend the money on it up front, rather than giving it to Clark as part of a 'package' that gets modded anyway.

A) How so? By the way, Clark's hammocks can be ordered without a tarp if you prefer.

Many do. Other folks change out their suspensions because they like to tinker, not from necessity.

A) I agree on that point.

I have quite a few hammocks, only one of which is a WB. Each of those is modular, and I can mix or match tarps/insulation among them as I choose. The pieces were chosen individually on their merits, not being part of a kit.

I think modularity is more useful and ultimately cost-effective than a pre-defined kit. I think Clark would do well to sell their gear that way in addition to the existing packages.

A) I don't see how that could be and they do.

No, the OP didn't ask about 'from the box' capability. He asked for opinions about a setup for the PCT. Your responses seem to disdain the piece-by-piece model of how hammock gear is sold, so I'm just providing a counter opinion.

A) On the contrary, an out of the box hammock for a single price and nothing additional needed is more frugal, yes? I guess it's just me, but I like to keep things simple and uncomplictaed---especially in the woods and my Clark's helps make that possible. I like Shug and he seems to be a good "feller", but have you ever seen all of the "stuff" he carries for his hammock in addition to all of the extra clothes he wears to keep warm while sleeping in it in cold weather, yikes! Could it just be that he's an old fart? Oh wait a minute, I'm an old fart too, never mind, yeehehehe! Love ya Shug-a-roo.

Happy Hanging...no matter what hammock you choose!

A) Ditto my friend.

To the OP- we're sorry for this topic-deviation. A Clark is a good option of you want an 'all in one' package. Or, look elsewhere if you want to pick your parts to suit.
    A) Double ditto!

One thing you'll find out about hammockers on this forum is that were passionate about our gear and irregardless of our opinions and hagling, you can be assured that everyone will always do their best to offer honest tips and good advice. Now, let's kiss "n" make up haha, and let's put another tent on the "barby", shall we!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 07-27-2010 at 18:54.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mustical View Post
    hello all>
    i am new to the forum and would love some advice. i am an avid backpacker, camper, and hiker. i am an eagle scout and grew up taking trips to the sierras of california and nevada. i have always been a tend or "under the stars" roughneck sleeper, and am looking forward to "hangin out". i have been researching hammocks for my first purchase and think i have narrowed it to a blackbird. i am planning to do a good part of the pacific crest trail next summer and would like to know if any of you would recommend this hammock or is another better. i would also like to know if a single layer 1.1 would suffice (i weight under 200lbs) or if the double layer is the way to go? any and all advice is appreciated. thanks and i am glad to have joined this awesome forum. -n8
    Blackbird is my favorite hammock with a bug net at the moment. Most comfortable commercial hammock I've ever tried...very roomy, no calf-pain like the HH sometimes causes, storage shelf is very useful, and the weight is great for the features I get.

The stock suspension that came with it is great (I had the webbing with triangle buckles), but I changed to whoopies. IMO, whoopies are the most convenient suspension around but they don't come standard on any models yet. That's one reason I like the modular approach.

Re: 1.1, you're pushing it at 200 lbs. The 1.1 single layer's max weight is listed as 185 on the website, with 140 as the "max flatness" weight. For the 1.1 oz double layer, it's 260 and 200. So I'd stick with the double layer if you want 1.1 oz. When I try hammocks that I'm too heavy for, I stretch the material under my torso and it causes my shoulders to roll in...makes me wake up with shoulder pain in the morning.

You don't need a double layer if you plan to use a pad. I don't use double layers anymore, and I occasionally use a pad. Be sure to look at the Segemented Pad Extender (SPE) idea if you plan to use a pad.

My personal setup is usually the Blackbird with a torso-length underquilt and a torso-sized CCF pad for under my legs. That way I have a pad for emergencies or if I need to go to ground. Could be a great kit for the PCT where you might want to camp in a good site above treeline.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123