dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Cool Spray, Coat, or Dip?

GearEngineers

Spray, Coat, or Dip? Maybe try this?
    WalMart sells Atsko "Silicone Water-Guard" in a spray can in the Camping section. It will spray/impregnate a LOT of fabric for roughly $5.

This has been working for me ...
    Buy WalMart's $1.50 yd polyester or nylon coat lining material which is roughly an ounce a yard. Create/sew your project, and spray Atsko's Sil Water Guard on the fabric and you just might be impressed how it repels driving rain on a tarp. Not as good as factory SilNylon or the Spinnaker fabrics, but again, you just might be impressed with performance/value.

I've even found DWR at Wally @ $1.50 a yd. Lot's of coated camo 2 oz yd lately. Better hurry tho, chek EVERY time you are in Wally because, the clerks tell me all fabrics will be gone from Wally in a year or less. Then it'll be www retailers @ $5 -$10 or more a yd.

FYI: I've been making what I call ''hybrid'' tarps (ie" water PROOF 54" tarp top coverage with 18" bottom sides sewn to lengthen the tarp's overhang coverage.

You can save a LOT of money this way if you are buying expensive spinnaker fabrics (ie: Cuben or Spinntex. Plus, it adds maybe an ounce or two with the finished overall weight. This will save you 3 Meters or so of that "high dollar" fabric assuming your tarp is roughly 10' long.

Isn't the HF wonderful?

GM
    Value gear eingineer

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

My DIY Sil tarp

I just posted about my tarp that I made using this thread. Check it out
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

I want to THANK y'all for this info about treating and importantly, re-treating, silnylon. Here's my experience from the past couple of days: When I read this thread, I grabbed some of my silnylon stuff sacks, filled them with water, and hung them in the garage. When I went back to check, there was a puddle under each. It made no difference if they were the cheapo Walmart bags or the super expensive brand name outfitter bags. Nor did it seem to matter how long I had had them or how much use they got, so far as I could discern.

Following the instructions to weigh cheap Walmart clear silicone and odorless mineral spirits on a postage scale, I mixed some up 4-to-1 in a glass jar and applied it with a paint brush.

Today, almost all the leaks are gone! On the bags I applied two coats inside and one coat outside, all the leaks are gone. (I'll go back and re-coat the remaining sacks.)

I did learn a couple of things. Apply the solution liberally to thoroughly soak the fabric, but then wipe the excess off just as thoroughly. I used a paper towel. Leaving excess on gives you a thin coating when dry that rubs right off. Not good. I wore gloves to do all this, as I have a box of disposables.

Multiple thin coats are best, inside and out.

I used some milk jugs and plastic bottles, and also bent coat hangers, to give the bag the correct form as it hung to air dry in my garage.

Can't wait to finish the job and see how these hold up on my next hike in a rain storm! They had become noticeably porous recently. This seems to be a cheap, quick, effective fix.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-26-2010 at 16:53. Reason: typo
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Great report, Rain Man!

Thanks!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Great report, Rain Man!
    Thanks! Now that I've gotten started, I can't stop myself! Spent the last few days treating my old REI silnylon UL45 backpack. Water used to run off it, but lately it has been more like a sponge.

After a couple of applications of this home brew, water runs right off again. I'm so happy! LOL

Query: Why does the stuff sometimes "goop up" in solution when it sets overnight? Sometimes, it is fine. Other times, it "sets up" a bit and gets something like really slurpy Jello in it. Sorry can't describe it very well. Okay to just strain this part out and re-use the remaining liquid?

BTW, I have found that sections of CCF pad work well to give shape to stuff sacks and backpacks while working this stuff in and wiping it off. Styrofoam peanuts help too! Even rolled-up magazines and newspapers. Then I use wooden clothespins to hang 'em to dry.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Thanks! Now that I've gotten started, I can't stop myself! Spent the last few days treating my old REI silnylon UL45 backpack. Water used to run off it, but lately it has been more like a sponge.

After a couple of applications of this home brew, water runs right off again. I'm so happy! LOL

Query: Why does the stuff sometimes "goop up" in solution when it sets overnight? Sometimes, it is fine. Other times, it "sets up" a bit and gets something like really slurpy Jello in it. Sorry can't describe it very well. Okay to just strain this part out and re-use the remaining liquid?

BTW, I have found that sections of CCF pad work well to give shape to stuff sacks and backpacks while working this stuff in and wiping it off. Styrofoam peanuts help too! Even rolled-up magazines and newspapers. Then I use wooden clothespins to hang 'em to dry.

Rain Man

Great idea on the pads and newspaper for shaping. I am going to give this a whirl this weekend.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    ...Query: Why does the stuff sometimes "goop up" in solution when it sets overnight? Sometimes, it is fine. Other times, it "sets up" a bit and gets something like really slurpy Jello in it. Sorry can't describe it very well. Okay to just strain this part out and re-use the remaining liquid?...
    I think there's link between silicone curing and moisture (speeds curing?) so maybe the humidity was different each time you did it?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    If i was to use a fabric that had been treated to be fireproof(from the manufacture) would i have to wash that treatment out first? or would it still bond regardless??

-Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Strap

A new product

I was searching the internet and found this product that sounded very interesting. I e-mailed the web site and here is their reply.

Hello

I have been reading some of the comments on the hammock.....site. Our product is the answer to practically all of them.

I would hope that you share the info with them, maybe visit my site at www.20starsealants.com.

Keep in touch

Tom Childress

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by No_p55 View Post
    I was searching the internet and found this product that sounded very interesting. I e-mailed the web site and here is their reply.

Hello

I have been reading some of the comments on the hammock.....site. Our product is the answer to practically all of them.

I would hope that you share the info with them, maybe visit my site at www.20starsealants.com.

Keep in touch

Tom Childress
    This looks like it has great potential. I have been holding back on sealing my tarps and tents that I have for clients because I get tired of the repellents, mineral spirits, etc. etc. This might just be a better alternative for me, my equipment, and the earth. I am very interested in this.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast