Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Hi I have read almost all this thread and I wonder if anyone try to apply the mixture with a spray bottle?

Hammock
    DIY Coyote Brown 1.0 oz Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY: Silnylon/Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest & bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I would not recommend spray. Using a brush to work the material into the fibers will provide a much better seal. Spray, simply lays the product on top and does not impregnate the material.

I thought of the possibility to apply several thin layers and and use a brush.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest & bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I am a journeyman painter. You could spray and back brush, but I would not recommend it. You will get a much better, thicker, even coat if you just brush it.

Thanks I will try only with brush.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest & bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    move quickly and evenly, and do it when its very cool outside. The harder it is the faster the silicon will set up and dry on the brush.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I just put the final touches on a 12'X10' Winter Tarp, following the DIY Gear pattern. I used the 1.1 oz. Woodland camo form DIY Gear as well, simply because I have yet to spot the now almost mythical "Walmart $1 Bin". I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same place where the snipes hang out.

Anyway, after scouring this forum, youtube, and a few other places, I decided on using the 4:1 ratio of 100% clear silicone and odorless mineral spirits. I mixed this in a 5 gallon bucket with a little gadget I made out of wire coat hangers that looks just like a whisk and a cordless drill. I mixed this concoction for a good ten minutes.... until I had a 3 inch layer of foam I had to let settle, and then I dunked and very thoroughly worked and kneaded the tarp for another 10 minutes or so.

I make a lot of stuff and actually constructed somewhat of a testing area in my backyard that doubles as a campsite when I get the urge. So I hung the tarp and pitched it taut. I wiped the excess off using a foam brush, and let it dry... which took all of about 4 hours in the Arizona sun.

I brought it inside and let it 'cure' for another couple of days then rehung it for the test. The wifey-poo hit me with everything from 'fine mist' to 'shower' to 'jet' and not a drop. I was quite pleased.

Upon closer inspection, I had some white build up in a few places that seems to just flake off without affecting the water-proofing in that area.

I added tarp-tensioners from Just Jeff's page, http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ensioner2.html
    and I'm ready to take it out for it's maiden voyage sometime this week.

Next tarp, I'm going to try letting the silicone/mineral spirit mixture to sit in a jar for a couple of days, shaking it up every time I walk passed it.

I really do believe the secret to success with this method is the making sure the silicone is completely dissolved in the mineral spirits before soaking or applying.

My question at this point is would sealing the ridgeline seam be over-kill?

DSC00558.jpg
    Last edited by Camping With Ken; 07-20-2014 at 05:37.
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    I just put the final touches on a 12'X10' Winter Tarp, following the DIY Gear pattern.

Looks really nice, great job! I personally wouldn't worry about the Ridgeline. I think you got it...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

as far as the mineral spirits goes, does it have to be clear? i saw a you tube video and the guy had the green mineral spirits, which is white instead of clear. he had issues with water seeping through. watching the video i noticed that it didn't look like a consistent coverage but can't be sure what mistakes were made.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Quote Originally Posted by Camping With Ken View Post
    I just put the final touches on a 12'X10' Winter Tarp, following the DIY Gear pattern. I used the 1.1 oz. Woodland camo form DIY Gear as well, simply because I have yet to spot the now almost mythical "Walmart $1 Bin". I'm beginning to wonder if it's the same place where the snipes hang out.

Anyway, after scouring this forum, youtube, and a few other places, I decided on using the 4:1 ratio of 100% clear silicone and odorless mineral spirits. I mixed this in a 5 gallon bucket with a little gadget I made out of wire coat hangers that looks just like a whisk and a cordless drill. I mixed this concoction for a good ten minutes.... until I had a 3 inch layer of foam I had to let settle, and then I dunked and very thoroughly worked and kneaded the tarp for another 10 minutes or so.

I make a lot of stuff and actually constructed somewhat of a testing area in my backyard that doubles as a campsite when I get the urge. So I hung the tarp and pitched it taut. I wiped the excess off using a foam brush, and let it dry... which took all of about 4 hours in the Arizona sun.

I brought it inside and let it 'cure' for another couple of days then rehung it for the test. The wifey-poo hit me with everything from 'fine mist' to 'shower' to 'jet' and not a drop. I was quite pleased.

Upon closer inspection, I had some white build up in a few places that seems to just flake off without affecting the water-proofing in that area.

I added tarp-tensioners from Just Jeff's page, http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ensioner2.html

Next tarp, I'm going to try letting the silicone/mineral spirit mixture to sit in a jar for a couple of days, shaking it up every time I walk passed it.

I really do believe the secret to success with this method is the making sure the silicone is completely dissolved in the mineral spirits before soaking or applying.

DSC00558.jpg
    Great setup... Making one now myself in preparation for JMT

• + New Posts
  • Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast