Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Not that crazy. The ones i used to use were 4'wx5'lx3'h.. unless you can find one from a huge book printer, but mostly I'm only mentioning that for the process involved. You could as easily find squeegee rollers at a commercial printing supply place, fill an old bath tub with the solution, soak the fabric for an hour or two and run it through the rollers with a hair dryer blowing on it on the recieving end.

dear sirs.
    what if i make the mixture thin enough to be applyed with an air pistol?
    i mean, i want to just paint my tent, in order to improve its water resistence.
    would it be a good way to go?

i tough about to soak my tent in the solvent first, to improve the silicon absorb.
    does it will do any good?

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    why not stretch out the material and use a pro airless paint sprayer outside, the sprayer will atomize the mix and not leave any lint or heavy spots from roller pressure or excess pooling of material. The heat will dry it smoother.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DIY Coyote Brown 1.0 oz Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY: Silnylon/Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest & bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by amayumi View Post
    dear sirs.
    what if i make the mixture thin enough to be applyed with an air pistol?
    i mean, i want to just paint my tent, in order to improve its water resistence.
    would it be a good way to go?

i tough about to soak my tent in the solvent first, to improve the silicon absorb.
    does it will do any good?
    Soaking would take a TON of material to mix. Would be uneven application as well. Sure, I think you could spray it, but don't go too heavy, as it will run. And you better make sure you clean the crap out of your lines IMMEDIATELY with thinner or kiss them goodbye. Once that silicone drys, that's the end if it.

Again, foam brush. Cheap, easy. No nonsense. Take it from someone who has been using this mixture and application method for years now. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Good luck!

Good luck!

my plan was to fully set up my tent at my backyard, then hang it 1 meter above the ground, so i can turn it and work below it.

then apply a very thin silicon+spirit mixture, thin enough to work with the air pistol without problems.

my goal is to fully waterproof the floor and the cover external layer, not painting the internal layer, to avoid condesation problems.

this way, i think could pick up a solo cheaper tent, that is the cheaper and lighter option in my country, and work it to do a little better during rains.

there is no quality tarps where I live.
    just poly ones.

absolutely no good hammocks, just too cheap crap ones.
    all quality tents and tarps come from usa and cost a arm and a eye.

and since there is too much bugs (tropical forest), we prefer to use hammocks or tents instead of bivys or sleeping bags alone.

any hint will be appreciated.

if it work in my tent, i think i could do a tarp too and abandon my poly (heavy!)

atb

any hints?

if possible, i would like to know how much can i dilute the silicon in order to make the mixture thin enough to be air pressed against the nylon.

i mean, the topic talks about 3 parts of spirit per 1 part silicon.

what should i get if i made 9 parts spirit to 1 part silicon?

this way i think i can paint the tent with the pistol close to the nylon, forcing the mixture against it.

and since its thin, the excess will just fell, dripping to the ground.

at least in my mind.. lol

thanks

So, 500 posts later, can someone give the best mixing ratio and application process. And what is the durability with the coating.

I would try spray silicone mold release comes in spray can come out clear and drys on contact . think i can get you a brand name if you wan't.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentoast View Post
    Soaking would take a TON of material to mix. Would be uneven application as well. Sure, I think you could spray it, but don't go too heavy, as it will run. And you better make sure you clean the crap out of your lines IMMEDIATELY with thinner or kiss them goodbye. Once that silicone drys, that's the end if it.

Again, foam brush. Cheap, easy. No nonsense. Take it from someone who has been using this mixture and application method for years now. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Good luck!

Good luck!
    From your experience is brushing it on good enough, or do you have to scrub it in?
    I assume you do this with the tarp pitched tight?
    Is doing one side enough, or is a second coat on the underside needed?

Thanks

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I just made made my 12' hex tarp + Grizz beaks waterproof? I used:

310ml silicon transparent made by Pattex (Henkel). I got it cheap from Lidl for 1.49€

tauro white spirit odourless (= tauro Terpentinersatz geruchlos). I bought 2 liter from Boesner (professional art supply) and used exactly

302 grams silicon + 3 x 302 = 906 grams tauro white spirit. (One liter white spirit is about 758 grams.) I mixed it with a drill, a long octagonal plastic curtain stick and three zipties in a 5 liter Saint Amand PET waterbottle. The mixing worked clean and well although I noted a lot of little air bubbles in the silicon sauce. Next time I would use the drill perhaps a little slower. The waterbottle was a good idea. I could close the bottle after mixing.

After about 30 minutes or so I filled the sauce in a bigger plastic container (a former letter container of the Deutsche Bundespost). And with my protective nitril gloves (European norm EN 374) I put the tarp in the mixture and knead it from all sides. Same with the Grizz beaks. The silicon material was just enough and the ripstop nylon I used was very absorbent.

The tarp hangs now in a big and cool cellar room. There it can hang 48 hours or even longer. It looks like that it will come out very nice. (Note: After the tarp hang I used a brush to make sure that I will get no single silicon snotnose on the tarp surface). I'm already sure it will be completely odourless. Hopefully it is waterproof too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast