Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    Finished product though for a 124" (ridge line) by 100" width is 15oz.
    By my math that equals about 1.57 oz / sq yd. Including hems, thread, tie-outs... pretty close to the 1.3 advertised by commercial syl vendors. Good job.

How did you mix it? A stick and lots of elbow grease, or some kind of blender?

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    That's a great looking tarp!!! I'm going to start a new tarp in a few weeks and I'm going to try and sponge the sil on instead of dunking (which is what I've done on my two previous tarps). In the two that i've previously done, I've used ~ a baseball sized amount of sil and then thinned. How much did you use? or did you notice?
    Thanks. I just eye balled it. Baseball size sounds pretty close. Maybe a little less for me. When I look at the tube it came out of, it's a 10.1 oz tube and I used about 2/3 of that amount. So about 6 to 7 oz and I had a little of the mixture left over. It had a nice thin consistency and went on real nice.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    When I look at the tube it came out of, it's a 10.1 oz tube and I used about 2/3 of that amount. So about 6 to 7 oz and I had a little of the mixture left over. It had a nice thin consistency and went on real nice.
    was that enough for one side of the tarp or did it cover both? That amount for me would have done the inside and out of one side...guess that answers my question...you could sponge the outside of both sides with that amount. Common sense is such a wonderful thing.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    By my math that equals about 1.57 oz / sq yd. Including hems, thread, tie-outs... pretty close to the 1.3 advertised by commercial syl vendors. Good job.

How did you mix it? A stick and lots of elbow grease, or some kind of blender?
    When I mixed it I just took a piece of bailing wire (you could use a coat hanger) and bent one end into a kind of a "C" or "U" shape at the bottom and put the other end into my cordless drill and used it as a blender. It really made very short work of the mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    was that enough for one side of the tarp or did it cover both? That amount for me would have done the inside and out of one side...guess that answers my question...you could sponge the outside of both sides with that amount. Common sense is such a wonderful thing.
    I just applied it to one side (the outside). As I mentioned, I had some left over. But in some areas more of it got pushed through, so I took the sponge applicator and spread it around on the inside in those areas. Of course I learned a few things and I think someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that you really don't need as much of it as you might think when you are applying the mixture. But while you are spreading it on, you tend to really want to get it on thick so you can be sure it's water tight. But fight that urge and don't over do it.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Images
    When I mixed it I just took a piece of bailing wire (you could use a coat hanger) and bent one end into a kind of a "C" or "U" shape at the bottom and put the other end into my cordless drill and used it as a blender. It really made very short work of the mixing.
    My favorite technique when I am mixing it thin to brush it on with a foam brush is to use an old glass jar (from jam, relish, etc.) with a tight fitting lid and handle it James Bond style... "Shaken, not stirred".
    Youngblood AT2000

Seam Sealer 3?

Has anyone else used the "Seam Sealer 3"?

I just seam sealed a DIY SpinnTex tarp last night with this stuff. I was amazed at how this water-based sealer spread on so thin (more environmentally friendly too). It only took about 1/4 fluid ounce to seal about 50 linear feet of seams. It made me think that I could pour the entire bottle into a small bowl and paint a large tarp with the 2 ounce contents and a foam brush.

This product does not seem to be silicon based. In small print it admits to containing "aqueous urethane". I've seem other urethane coatings begin to peel off after a few years. This stuff spreads on so thin, I am not sure if it would eventually show the same signs of degradation that thick urethane coatings are prone to have.

I will be trying this product to make some 1.1 ounce nylon water proof fabric sometime in the near future. But it wouldn't be "Silnylon", rather it would be super light urethane coated nylon.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Dbl H, wouldn't that be what this product is?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Ok I just treated my poncho

I just finished treating my poncho/tarp with the silicone/mineral spirits method. Why is it that taking pictures of a project is always more fun to talk about that to do... I did not take pictures this time. More because I am lame than anything else. I just wanted to do it and it was my first time so I did not know how fast I had to work. Anyway...

It is drying now so when it is finished I will talk more about what I did. I used the watery mixture with foam brush method. It is a little labor intensive but it went on really well. The glass jar (mason type) and wooden paint stir make quick work of the mixture. I thought it did not take much time at all. Hopefully I did not do something wrong. I will be making some more gear with all of this stinking ripstop I have so I WILL make pictures of the process next time.

I really hope this works!

Adam

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I just finished treating my poncho/tarp with the silicone/mineral spirits method. Why is it that taking pictures of a project is always more fun to talk about that to do... I did not take pictures this time. More because I am lame than anything else. I just wanted to do it and it was my first time so I did not know how fast I had to work. Anyway...

It is drying now so when it is finished I will talk more about what I did. I used the watery mixture with foam brush method. It is a little labor intensive but it went on really well. The glass jar (mason type) and wooden paint stir make quick work of the mixture. I thought it did not take much time at all. Hopefully I did not do something wrong. I will be making some more gear with all of this stinking ripstop I have so I WILL make pictures of the process next time.

I really hope this works!

Adam

Any Update?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Update

Sorry I did not update my post. I kind of forgot about it actually...

How did things go? They actually went rather well. I treated my poncho and the results were great. I gave it the ol' shower test again and did not have a wet backside for my efforts as I did previously.

A Couple of suggestions. If you are going to treat the fabric after the tarp or poncho is made it is a good idea to keep it pitched tight. I found a couple of spots that dried while touching each other that, when pulled apart, left a visual mark. I do not think this will effect the waterproofness of the poncho, it is just a little noticeable. I can not speak of the durability of this treatment since I have only used it once in actual rain. I cant see why it would not last a while. I have since changed my mind about poncho use (I am going to try to make something like a Packa now). The poncho I made weighs less than 8oz. If someone wants to test/have this piece of gear I will let it go for $20 (sorry...I know this is not the gear swap... ) It was my first poncho but I think it turned out ok.

Would I do the treatment method again.. Sure I would. I was not THAT hard at all really and it was dirt cheap.

Any more questions just ask.

Adam

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast