Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I kinda see soaking the fabric in a silicone solution, like in bucket or similar, then removing the fabric, laying it out flat, and then running the squeegee over the fabric.
    I think I may try a combination of yours and WarbonnetGuy's ideas and make the tarp out of breathable material, then coat it w/ a sponge. Then, I will squeegee. Maybe it won't even need the squeegee if it is smooth enough.

Images
    yeah, just make sure to get all the excess off, it should just be damp when you are done, nothing left on the surface.

let us know how it turns out.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    What kind of stand/surface are you guys using when laying out the fabric to wipe off the excess. I know if I just put it on a garage floor, I'd have crap all over my tarp. Is maybe a clothes line better?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am curious... Is there madness behind this method? With the availability of silnylon commercially is there a reason to be making your own. Other than the obsession to DIY that runs rampant in the camping community. That of course is a given.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

lol, self flagellation, reinventing the wheel, and sisyphus, (sp-5) have been around forever!!! But not ZP nylon!!

Just an observation...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    lol, self flagellation, reinventing the wheel, and sisyphus, (sp-5) have been around forever!!! But not ZP nylon!!

Just an observation...

None of which apply to my post BTW. If someone gets a rush out of making a mess then more power to them.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I kinda see soaking the fabric in a silicone solution, like in bucket or similar, then removing the fabric, laying it out flat, and then running the squeegee over the fabric.
    This is what I did, twice for each piece, except I used a small foam roller to press it in.

Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    What kind of stand/surface are you guys using when laying out the fabric to wipe off the excess. I know if I just put it on a garage floor, I'd have crap all over my tarp. Is maybe a clothes line better?
    Clean the floor as best you can. Fortunately for me there were no oil spots from cars or anything like that. You can't press with rollers or brushes or sponges if it is hanging. Hang it after applying the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am curious... Is there madness behind this method? With the availability of silnylon commercially is there a reason to be making your own. Other than the obsession to DIY that runs rampant in the camping community. That of course is a given.
    Colors. Finding sil in "stealth" colors is hard! Also - cheap http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/i...ies/tongue.gif

$1 bin fabric + $5 for caulk + $5 for white gas = cheap.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-12-2008 at 22:16. Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    if there are leaks it might mean you mixed too thin. in which case you might need another coating. ... use a scale to weigh your finished samples to see how much sil you added. ....
    The caulk tube is 10.6 fluid ounces.. hmmm, fluid, hmm... is a fluid ounce more or less than a mass ounce... hmmm... I actually used most of the tube for a tarp that was going to be 10x8 finished. That's more than 1/2 a fluid pound for a tarp that is supposed to be less than 1 pound total. I did weigh each piece after each app (I have the notes somewhere), and I remember thinking that after the first app it was over 1.2 oz/sq yd, and after the 2nd app 1.3+. After the 2nd coat dried, it was like the sheet had a bad case of dandruff, all the little and bigger flakes of silicone. It definitely had a lot of sil embedded because it had a rubbery feel to it, it was harder to blow thru, and it did bead up some water. It just did not pass the rain shower test.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ... set it up, stretch it really tight and rub the mix on with a sponge and work it in real good on both sides, and then wipe it off really good...
    hmmm... both sides... hmmm .... really tight... I basically kneaded the fabric in the bucket for a few minutes to get it soaked thru and thru, and then laid it on the garage floor. While on the floor I followed up with a roller to press it in/smooth it out on one side. Then hung it up to dry.

I really think it was this fabric more than the technique. As I was applying the spray on sil in the shade I could see pinpoints of light. This tells me that the $1 yard bargain bin stuff was a very loose weave and maybe that's why it was in the bargain bin.

??? The technique works for fabric with "holes" smaller than x, but it can't plug holes bigger than a pasta strainer, or whatever the magic number is....???

Maybe I'll try it one more time with what's left of the tube, what the heck it can't hurt. And get the exact measure of yards and weights to share with y'all....

Images
    I am interested in coating my own because of several reasons. I can't ever find waterproof fabric in the dollar bin, but I seem to find quite a bit of ripstop. I will save money this way, as well.

Is it worth the $4-5/yd. I will save by doing it myself? Well, on a 7 yard project it depends on the cost of the silicone and thinner. Can anyone guesstimate the cost of those materials?

Images
    when i did it, it was before anyone mentioned multiple coats possibly being better than one. i did 3 tiny pieces, picked the best lookng mix (just eyeballed it by thickness/runniness) and did a 1 sq yd piece. i hung it up and wiped it off. it turned out really nice after it dried, no excess or flakes or anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast