How big of a dart?

I plan to make a full length underquilt from IX. Have a warbonnet blackbird. Any tips on the size of the darts? was going to make one long one on each end.

More info: was planning to sew pieces of IX to the main layer of IX in what I think is the "insultube" type of setup. For example- take a 5 inch wide piece that runs nearly the length of the quilt and sew each edge of that 5 inch piece down two parallel lines that are 4 inches apart- giving a 1 inch "loft". Nothing would be in that "loft" but air. Would have maybe 6-8 of these channels. Weight is not much of a concern as mostly do canoe or car camping.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    It's OK (and encouraged) to get advise on this forum. However, my advice would be to make a mock-up of your intended design and/or designs. What I did is I went to the local Good Will and got a few sheet for a buck or two. I then experimented with different darts for an underquilt shape. My hammock is DIY, so the best fitting design of on underquilt was not obvious at first. Besides, I really enjoyed the experimentation process. Ask for advise, and don't reinvent the wheel. But at the same time, come up with your own ideas as well. Who knows, you might be the next big vendor on this site.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Sorry I missed this last week!

Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    Any tips on the size of the darts? was going to make one long one on each end.
    I make darts about every 10", all the way around the entire UQ. Each dart is 1.5" wide at the outer edge of the IX, and tapers down to nothing over 6 to 8 inches. For the two darts in the middle of each side of the UQ, I make 4" wide darts.

Remember to calculate the edge length lost to darts and add it in before you cut!

Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    planning to sew pieces of IX to the main layer of IX in what I think is the "insultube" type of setup. For example- take a 5 inch wide piece that runs nearly the length of the quilt and sew each edge of that 5 inch piece down two parallel lines that are 4 inches apart- giving a 1 inch "loft". Nothing would be in that "loft" but air. Would have maybe 6-8 of these channels.
    That will work. I just sew pleats down the length. If you pinch two inches of IX you get a one inch pleat.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts