Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Sorry folks no offense meant will steer clear of those jokes from now on You folks are top notch
    heh... i think that's the problem with political jokes... nobody ever (hopefully) *means* to offend, but with politics and the broad spectrum of opinion therein, it is hard not to offend... so yah, best to steer clear until you're on the trail so that everyone is so happy in their hammock they don't care what other people say.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    "maybe we can get a chicagoland hangers gathering going!"--gObez. I agree. Do you know of a western Chicagoland forest preserve that would accomodate a bunch of hangers?

Lonely Raven-- When you are mentioning the Warbonnet, remember, you're getting the hammock and netting and nothing else. You need a tarp (do you already own one). Like, g0Bez, I have ENO double and single. The hammock is $60 and the bugnet is $55 and the tarp isn't worth a ****. I got a Kelty 9 for about $50. Then you need suspension slap straps (many say they stretch, built they've worked for me so far) for $20. Too bad this isn't yesterday, when all of this was 25% off with no sales tax and free shipping at altrec.com Sale ended last night at midnight. So, for the $200 to get fully going, you could have saved $50. Maybe they''l do it again; i'll let you know.

So Warbonnet great if you have time and money.

Let's see about a Chicagoland hang. Anyone wanna hit a forest preserve for a late afternoon to morning hang over labor day weekend? Totally to meet, learn about gear, cook some hot cocoa, and sleep one night to get used to hammocks.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-27-2010 at 19:41.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    I live directly across the street from the Salt Creek Nature Preserve, though I don't think you can do an overnight there. It is a fantastic place to meet for an afternoon bbq and gear testing get-together (for an afternoon, in case a weekend/overnight thing doesn't fit the schedule soon enough).

In terms of other places that actually allow camping, I'm new to this area (3 months now) so I'm not too sure... my brother-in-law has been living here for a few years and has been camping several times. I'm sure we'll be able to find a "Where" pretty easily.

In terms of gear -- I did everything DIY except the ENO (which was a gift, otherwise I would've made that myself too). Like I said, if you want you can test out my gear and make decisions from there.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Your cheapest option, Lonely Raven, and a good one at that is to buy a Hennessy hammock, something like the Expedition. $139, direct from Hennesey site. Can buy other places, but Hennessey throws in 2 items: a pair of snake skins, which are mandatory for storage (well, not mandatory, but nice), and they let you substitute the stock rain tarp for the larger one (you have to specify this when you order, so I would call them on the phone to order). The concensus on HF: the larger HH tarp is more useful. So, you get all this for $139. Your best deal, frankly. It includes the suspension system, tree straps, bug net, larger tarp (if you ask for it to be substituted for the too small stock one) and the snake skins plus the carrying bag.

g0bez: sounds great about the afternoon hang and gear review. Please also ask your brother about local places he knows of. But yes, for an afternoon, any place would work.
    http://www.dupageforest.com/Conserva...ne_Valley.html

Green Valley Forest Preserve is Naperville/Bollingbrook, and a happy medium for all, and close to Lonely Raven.

PS Raven--there's a guy with 100% feedback Buy It Now for $94 plus $11 shipping for HH Expedition on eBay right now. So, for $105 you'd be "in". The only question is if you'd want to spend $139 +shipping from HH direct for new rather than used, fully warranted, plus the Snake Skins ($20) and the larger Hex rainfly. Depends how tight cash really is. Either good. Just get hangin'! (You can always resell either for nearly what you paid minus $20 or so). Check the weight limits on you versus the Expedition (250 lbs capacity). C ya.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-27-2010 at 20:16.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Another option for you is the Switchback by Tree to Tree trail gear. This is the hammock I am looking at. They have options to handle us bigger guys like the bb.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i'm just north of ya all on the il /wi border, really liking the chicagoland hang idea we should get that rolling, if i had to do it all over again, put the order in now for the blackbird, you will save alot of money and frustration, i ended up buying 3 different hammocks before the bird, start on that tarp as well, it may rain, welcome to the forums and i hope to be able to help with whatever, feel free to pm anytime
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    i'm just north of ya all on the il /wi border, really liking the chicagoland hang idea we should get that rolling, if i had to do it all over again, put the order in now for the blackbird, you will save alot of money and frustration, i ended up buying 3 different hammocks before the bird, start on that tarp as well, it may rain, welcome to the forums and i hope to be able to help with whatever, feel free to pm anytime
    That's exactly why I want to jump right into the Blackbird...I'm just afraid of the backlog.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

lonely raven

I'm a tad confused. You said money is a consideration for you. The WBB is great, a fine hammock. But with accessories, is one of your priciest options. I don't think you'd do wrong with a HH, which you might just like most, and could sell easily, anytime (so not buying bunch of hammocks only to upgrade later; just buying one that has high sales so lower price). Plus, you mention your fiancee wants to try hammocking out--so, you need two hammocks anyhow in the long run.

The WBB is $175 for the 'mock, and $115 for the least expensive (i.e. heaviest at almost one lb) tarp= so about $290 before you add in any suspension system (unless you make it yourself, could cost anywhere from $20 to about $49 for Opie's all-in-one whoopieslings). And that's if you get the absolute cheapest tarp--most hammockers who can afford a WB get a finer tarp, and those from WB cost about $150+. Total package could easily top $400 (and of course no underquilt or topquilt yet for autumn overnighters).

Just curious, because you mentioned it twice about cost, but then want the WBB: Is price really an issue, or not?

Respectfully, CK1.

P.S. nice to hear from you Knut1.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-27-2010 at 23:39.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    You ASSume quite a bit. Re-read my first post in this thread.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Greets All!

I'm new here, and figured I'd introduce myself as I wait for my coffee to drip,drip,drip.

My name is Eric, my fiance and I live in the Chicago SW Suburbs, Bolingbrook to be exact. We aren't adventurers so much as we just like to try new things. And the thing I'd like to try this fall, is hammock camping.

I heard about this place, and hammock camping, on ZombieHunters.org, where I'm an officer of the Chicagoland chapter (I have no idea how that happened ).

I like the idea of a quick setup, and big tarp (reminds me of playing under a tarp in the back yard when I was a wee lad), and a good nights sleep on/over most any terrain.

I'm eyeballing a Warbonnet Blackbird as my first hammock, and I'm working on making my own catenary tarp. I enjoy DIY, and since I'm not made of money, I'm hoping I actually save money building this, though I've found some tarps at reasonable prices.

If any of you are in the Chicagoland suburbs, I'd love to hear from ya. I have tons of hobbies that tend to overlap with others I meet: guitar playing (poorly), motorcycles, photography, shooting sports, etc.

It's nice to meet you all!
    Wait. You heard about hammockforums on ZombieHunters.org What, exactly, is the connection between zombies and hammocks?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast