Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

From Chicago SW Suburbs

Greets All!

I'm new here, and figured I'd introduce myself as I wait for my coffee to drip,drip,drip.

My name is Eric, my fiance and I live in the Chicago SW Suburbs, Bolingbrook to be exact. We aren't adventurers so much as we just like to try new things. And the thing I'd like to try this fall, is hammock camping.

I heard about this place, and hammock camping, on ZombieHunters.org, where I'm an officer of the Chicagoland chapter (I have no idea how that happened ).

I like the idea of a quick setup, and big tarp (reminds me of playing under a tarp in the back yard when I was a wee lad), and a good nights sleep on/over most any terrain.

I'm eyeballing a Warbonnet Blackbird as my first hammock, and I'm working on making my own catenary tarp. I enjoy DIY, and since I'm not made of money, I'm hoping I actually save money building this, though I've found some tarps at reasonable prices.

If any of you are in the Chicagoland suburbs, I'd love to hear from ya. I have tons of hobbies that tend to overlap with others I meet: guitar playing (poorly), motorcycles, photography, shooting sports, etc.

It's nice to meet you all!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Lonely Raven, You have found your way to the mecca of hammock hanging. Within this site you will find a treasure trove of information on all things to do with hammock hanging! Spend some time poking around you will be surprised and what you will learn. Welcome!
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Welcome aboard Raven from somewhat next door in Michigan. Can't go wrong with the the BB, but if your into diy, you could throw a gathered end hammock together for around $25 with a Jo ann's coupon.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Lonely Raven--ah, finally, a guy close to me. I'm in Geneva/St Charles, IL. Married, but my wife has no plans to spend a night outside anytime soon. I think you''ll do well with a Warbonnet BB, but to use one this fall? Well, let's just say the guy that makes them is backordered. Big time.

LR, you have the Camping World store in Bolingbrook--I know, mostly for RVs--but do they sell hammocks? I have an Eagles Nest Outfitters single and a double and bugnet and just got a Kelty-9 tarp, and most of that can be had from Gander Mountain, and I'm good to go. I have a Hennessey Hammock, but have yet to really play with it./ How many overnights have I spent in a hammock? 0! so, like you, I'm new to this hammocking thing.

kayaknut01 is on here (I've never met him), and he is an experienced hammocker, and is brother lives in S Elgin, and we shot the idea around about doing a stealthy hang in South Elgin or one of the local forest preserves (you know, sneak an overnighter)...maybe that'd be up your alley.

Listen, if you've not seen them, check out shug's youtube videos, they'll REALLY inspired you to go hammocking. Search shug emery on youtube. CK1

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Welcome aboard Raven from somewhat next door in Michigan. Can't go wrong with the the BB, but if your into diy, you could throw a gathered end hammock together for around $25 with a Jo ann's coupon.
    I just may try that for my fiance. I'd like to experience a nice hammock so I know what its like right from the start. I'm not one to skimp out when I do something...assuming I can afford to do so.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Here's a shug video, and kayakingnut1 is on it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...52/5VsbhMNeais

And we're 24 miles from one another, with Naperville in the midpoint, according to mapquest.

I also have a kayaking buddy, Guinness, and he's really experienced with multiday campouts, and he has mentioned to me many times that he'd show me the Hennessey and how to camp in it. Well, dolt me, I never took him up on it. Well, sure enough, he's in the Nat'l Guard, and is doing a stint in Iraq, but he's to return this autumn. I'm taking him up on it now, lemme tell ya.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-27-2010 at 09:18.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I've stumbled into shug's videos, though I've only skimmed them without sound while at work (so I'm sure I'm missing the experience).

I'd love to do a stealth hang, but I need the hammock first. I've really got my heart set on the Blackbird...so we'll see what happens there. Being on a super tight budget doesn't help much either.

I hope to meet some of you locals! I'm all about meeting new people and learning from them. Speaking of which, my fiance really wants to get into kayaking, it's just no logistically possible right now though (and I can't swim worth a ****).

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Hey -- I was just down in your neighborhood last week at BassPro! I'm up in Western Springs (heading out this week for a trip in the Boundary Waters)

Let me know if you ever need a hiking/camping partner -- maybe we can get a chicagoland hangers gathering going!

Busy day, otherwise I'd write more. You found the right place for hammock info... good luck!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Bass Pro is within walking distance of my house. Me and the family walk there regularly:

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Welcome Now do you want your change back !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast