DIY Kitchen Tarp

Looking for some ideas and maybe if i am lucky some plans on a LARGE kitchen type tarp for a upcomming trip to the BOundary Waters. I am thinking kind of something like this:
    http://http://www.eaglesnestoutfitte...lity-tarp.html
    but maybe larger. This trip will have tow adults and two young adults on is to need it to be kind of large. So the question to those of you who have some thing like this is; Is there componets that i need to add that a normal cat cut tarp does not have and How to hang/use the tarp? Poles needed? and last but not least what size do you suggest? thanks fof your help!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taimentwin74 View Post
    Looking for some ideas and maybe if i am lucky some plans on a LARGE kitchen type tarp for a upcomming trip to the BOundary Waters. I am thinking kind of something like this:
    http://http://www.eaglesnestoutfitte...lity-tarp.html
    but maybe larger. This trip will have tow adults and two young adults on is to need it to be kind of large. So the question to those of you who have some thing like this is; Is there componets that i need to add that a normal cat cut tarp does not have and How to hang/use the tarp? Poles needed? and last but not least what size do you suggest? thanks fof your help!
    In general, I'd recommend a rectangular cut over a catenary cut tarp for kitchen use. Especially for a big tarp, you'll wind up using all sorts of oddly spaced trees, roots, shrubs and rocks for pitching. Flexibility is a strong point for rectangular cut tarps.

As for specific size recommendations, my experience over years in the BWCA and Quetico is a 12'x10' is probably the smallest I'd want. For kitchen use, it's often pitched on a slant (like a shed roof) WITHOUT a ridgeline...that is, it's "flat", sloping for drainage. Even that "rule" gets violated a lot depending on where you wind up pitching it. Here's a picture to illustrate one kitchen tarp we used last summer (for 4 adults).

Cost and weight are other factors. Bigger tarps weigh more and cost more. If you go lightweight (e.g. silnylon), you'll push up the price even more. Here's one reputable supplier of tarps "adapted" for BWCA use. Cook Custom Sewing
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I picked up a coated nylon Baker's lean to back about 10 years ago from Campmor that we've used several times ... even once in Linville Gorge seen here at the campsite below Pinchin

It makes a great area to hang out ... cook ... and stay out of the weather ... in this case a freezing rain.

I've been giving some serious consideration to DIY'ing one out of Sil

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Beep, I like the boot insoles lashed to the tree high enough that the porkies are not going to steal them but big foot still might
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'd second the rectangular tarp suggestion. Maybe take a gander at the Kelty Noah's tarp line. I believe there's a 12x12 one that's relatively cheap and light enough for a boat trip. Just make sure you bring lots of line.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Go to your local Walmart or any cheapo discount place (such as Ocean state Job Lot around here) And get a 12x12 tarp treated for light degradation. $10 to $15. I use a 10x12 to cover my motorcycle everyday all year round and they last 2 or 3 years and longer if protected. Those tarps are all anybody needs unless you want a fancy cut or lighter weight and then just go to your local fabric store, get the size and kind of material you want and start sewing hems, tie outs and installing grommets. For a kitchen tarp? keep it simple.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    3x4m & 6x8m silnyl
    Insulation
    An hotel suite
    Suspension
    Gripper Drippers
    Images
    I just bought a silnylon 3x4m (about 9.5'x12.5' finished) from Tom Claytor for $60, which is a serious bargain compared to some. The worksmanship is very good. For years I've used the cheapo brand poly tarps in sizes up to 20x30 feet to serve six or eight campers.

I always use a ridge line under the tarp. Our conditions here in South Texas are not like the North and the West. We have rain and mosquitos in quantity. I'd go bigger rather than smaller. A gentle breeze can make the first meter under a tarp quite rainy, so I always think of a tarp as being a meter smaller all around if rain protection is serious, and rain protection is always serious.
    Last edited by jungleandy; 07-27-2010 at 20:00. Reason: Horrible one-eyed typos and alarming gramattical errors
    "Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
    -- Michaelangelo

• + New Posts