Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floppy Edges

Images

Floppy Edges

Hey there,
    I reently purchased a Travelers Double hammock on sale. I have reworked ti to add a ridgeline and ring buckles. I have also rewhipped it several times trying to deal with the floppy edges. I have had no luck, they keep falling into the hammock and hitting me in the face. What would be a good way to deal with this. My other hammock is a HHED so I don't have experience with a speer type body. Any suggestions?

aerorider65
    Roads go ever ever on, under cloud and under star; Yet feet that wandering have gone, turn at last to home afar. Bilbo Baggins

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    My Treklight double hammock has floppy edges that dont bother me much. Do you still get floppy edges when laying on the diagonal? If you've rewhipped it several times, I dont know what else you could do.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    One thought when you are whipping is to make sure that the outer edges of the material for the hammock is pulled forward to be even with the end being whipped. If it is not that will contribute to the floppyness of the edges. There is an excellent tutorial in this forum at:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=192

How wide is the fabric that you are making the hammock with?
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    You could always use Risk's TestHammock Whipping Method.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think somewhat floppy edges are just one of those things you get to deal with in the doubles. I've got an ENO DoubleNest and a Trek Light Double and they both have a little flop in em'. It is reduced quite a bit when I get diagonal, but it's still there. It usually isn't enough to get in my face, but it can get a little annoying in a stiff wind (found that out this weekend ).

I would suggest really playing with the sag, so that you can get as diagonal as possible. Like I said, there will be a little flop but it shouldn't be in your face when you stretch out.

Images
    i like the flop sometimes, you can throw your arm to the side, and the flop will create a mini hammock for your arm to lay in. and the resulting tension causes the side to stand up.

you can move a little more diagonal so there is less excess fabric at your shoulder, this may be the best move. if there's only a few inches extra, the flop shouldn't bother you that much. sounds like you've got a lot of flop.

how much fabric is between your shoulder and the edge of fabric?

you could add a single tie out at the shoulder if you usually sleep on the same diagonal.

Images
    try hanging with lots of sag and very diagonal, and very little sag, and alot more in-line. two very different lays, both comfortable in different ways.

i have found the least shoulder squeeze of any position is achieved by laying in-line, but the hammock must have alot less sag to lift the butt in relation to the feet and head, by reducing sag even more, flatness increases, but shoulder squeeze begins to come back. i just discovered this "sweet spot" recently, and have not had a chance to sleep that way. something will be needed under the knees more than when laying diagonal with lots of sag, but i prefer something under my knees whenever sleeping in any hammock.

it's not a bad way to hang, slowhike swears by it.

Images
    Or you can add side tie-outs like a HH... That takes care of the floppies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    This weekend I had a lot of wind to deal with and the floppy sides just about drove me insane (very short trip). Simple fix: put your head on the same side as the built in stuff sack. Then just put something with a little weight (I used a rock) in the sack. It holds that side down and almost completely eliminates the flop. I've found my feet do a pretty good job of taking care of the flop on the other side.

It worked!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    try hanging with lots of sag and very diagonal, and very little sag, and alot more in-line. two very different lays, both comfortable in different ways.

i have found the least shoulder squeeze of any position is achieved by laying in-line, but the hammock must have alot less sag to lift the butt in relation to the feet and head, by reducing sag even more, flatness increases, but shoulder squeeze begins to come back. i just discovered this "sweet spot" recently, and have not had a chance to sleep that way. something will be needed under the knees more than when laying diagonal with lots of sag, but i prefer something under my knees whenever sleeping in any hammock.

it's not a bad way to hang, slowhike swears by it.
    the other night i laid a 4' long "yard" stick on me as i laid in a normal (on back) position in my hammock.
    i was laying so close to flat that the front of my hips were only about 2" lower than the rest of my body.
    NOTE... in all fairness, i had to by-pass my belly by putting the stick to one side
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast