WBBB 1.0DL & ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Leighlo 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    A little different take on the liner thing from Marmot. Kind of pricey, but I think this would make a great summer bag at least where I live. It's on sale at Rock Creek: http://www.rockcreek.com/marmot/tres...g-bag-regular/

I used that bag on an AT hike last month...worked great...I had a extra fleece blanket with me just in case, but with a ccf pad in my DL BB, this Marmot bag (it's actually more a liner than a sleeping bag, and rated to ~50*) was more than warm enough.

Hammock
    Nano7, HB No-See-Um-No-More
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    I was just looking into this earlier today. Hypothetically speaking, would it be realistic for me to use something like the Sea to Summit liner as a supplement to my Go Lite Ultra 20 quilt in weather below 30 degrees? Or would this just be asking to have a cold night in the woods?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    Silk works, IF you're using it inside another material. If it's in a bag or under blankets it will up the temp, but exposed to the air it will act like an air conditioner. The easier route for me, was to go with a pair of silk long underwear. Same effect, without the complications that come with using a liner in the hammock...

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Where are you guys & gals finding $15 and $20 silk liners? At that price I'd pick one up just to play with. Everything I find is $50+

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    Where are you guys & gals finding $15 and $20 silk liners? At that price I'd pick one up just to play with. Everything I find is $50+
    I got mine on eBay.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Hennesy expedition
    Tarp
    Campmor
    Insulation
    Mylar spaceblanket
    I got my Sea to Summit silk Bag liner for 15 dollars at a local outfitter store about 5 years ago. Use it a lot. I am a light weight hiker and many times have to wear all my clothes in the bag at night to keep warm. The liner contains the dirt from my hiker clothes and then I wash the liner in a stream and it drys fast for the next night. On cold mornings I wear the liner like a scarf under my shirt or rain jacket. It was a great help on my John Muir Trail hike last year. To stay with my group I ground camped. If I do it again would take my homebuilt bridge hammock. It has a double bottom to hold various size under quilts and I filled the silk liner with poly batting for a top quilt.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Well I slept out in the backyard last night. The low was actually only 68(if you wanna call that low), I did have my sleeping bag mod UQ in use, also I used my Grand Trunk Goods Silk Sleep Sack as a top quilt. I was thinking with the it not being too hot or too cold that the silk sleep sack would work good for a top quilt.
    It actually worked well, but with me being a warm sleeper I did get hot. I wasn't expecting that out of a thin silk bag. I figure it would be good for added insulation during colder weather.
    Now I can't wait for colder weather to test it out with my 20* synthetic bag. So bring on the cold weather.
    Chris

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a silk bag liner but have yet to actually use it outdoors... I've tried playing around with it inside, and found it hard to keep it situated inside my sleeping bag... too slippery!
    I thought maybe it'd be a great stand alone item in hot weather, but I've been using a poncho liner. I should give it a shot though I guess.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

use silk LJ instead

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I found my silk liner to be too slippery to use with my sleeping bag. I could never tell if I was all the way in it or not,where it was, what was top/bottom, where the side opening was...
    I had the same experience years ago. Switched to sleeping in silk long johns instead. Much better experience, same weight as a liner (or less). Never looked back. Still using the original pair, but they are starting to look pretty ratty.

FWIW,
    --Kurt

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I use the synthetic (polyester) liners as a sleeping bag for hot weather. They are small enough to put in the hammock and not take up too much space. I usually put my feet in it and leave it there. When the temp drops abou 4 or 5 am, I pull it up. I also use them in the winter to keep my bags a little cleaner.

I didn't buy the silk ones because I have not found any for $15. I think the synthetics were about $7 at Academy Sports. I bought a mummy and a square one. First thing I did was cut the hook part of the velcro off because it sticks to everything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast