Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Memphis / Tennessee Hangouts?

I have been lurking the past 2 weeks and I have been looking for threads about hangouts in either Tennessee or in the Memphis area, however, I havent found much that has not already occurred.

Is anyone in my area or are there any already planned hangouts?

Btw, I am new to the forum and I apologize if this thread breaks some sort of infraction. I used to be an administrator on another forum and it irked me to death when noobs posted out of place threads

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There haven't been any West TN hangouts so far. The closest ones are Neo's bi-annual hangout at Meriwether Lewis National Monument, one hangout in Arkansas, or some of the Sipsey hangouts in AL.

A great place to have a hangout would be Big Hill Pond SP.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    If you plan it, they will come!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    If thats in the general direction of pickwick then I think I've been there. nice spot. haven't been back out of shame. it was a scouting trip... left the tent poles at the house... slept in the bed of the truck in sub freezing weather... maybe hanging would make it okay for me to return. It's been ten years no one would recognize me anyway right?
    no offense but it's hotter n heck right now. It's gonna be a few months before I'll fight the sauna outside my door. fall hang sounds good though.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yeah, it's on Hwy 57 toward Pickwick.

I always liked that state park - very quiet, has a scenic lake, good fishing, lots of hiking trails, a boardwalk through the swamp, an old fire-tower on the hill with a view, etc. It's also a quick drive from there to both Pickwick and Shiloh National Battlefield.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    yep that the place. that really would be a good spot for a gathering. some of the other places that come to mind are, umm, less that desirable. it was quiet enough last time I went that we might be able to have a little area to ourselves. If someone would be willing to plan I would play along.

I agree, here in West Tennessee the humidity is just dreadful. Beginning of October is when it's the nicest temperature in my opinion. So if we do end up planning something or going somewhere, I'm up for fall, not right now.

Big Hill Pond is a nice place, I have camped there several times and even backpacked some of the trails.

Also - the Spring River in Arkansas is a nice hangout / fishing spot. I fly fish for trout over there and its fantastic, but it is a little bit further drive than Big Hill Pond.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Believe it or not Shelby Forrest in North Shelby County is one of the prettiest parks I have been in. That being said there is not a lot to do out there but swat skeeters this time of year.
    In the fall there are much better days. There is about 10 miles of hiking trails but not much to see.

I may be interested if someone puts something together. I may even try something myself later in the year.
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

+1 for fall. Just too darn hot right now! I'm in the middle of the state near the Meriwether Lewis National Monument, and I have been eyeballing Sipsey as well (went there a few times as a kid).

BEAS - I agree on Shelby Forest. It holds the record for the largest park within a city's limits in the entire country, believe it or not

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast