HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

WTB: Insultex UQ or SuperShelter?

So, I've been using a cheap CCF pad or an inflatable Exped Synmat 7 pad with my Hennessy Expedition Asym and I am itching to get an underquilt.

Unfortunately, the price tag of a JRB Nest (or any other UQ I've seen) is too steep for my broke student arse. I've watched the Hennessy videos on the SS and the $130 is somewhat doable, but I haven't been able to find adequate discussion on the forums about whether it is that good. (Most posts are with regards to the SS sitting on the shelf.) I also prefer to buy from cottage industries if possible.

I'm very interested in the insultex underquilts sold by MacEntyre, but I also haven't seen much discussion about how they compare to the other UQs. I see the possibility of the IX UQ mimicking the weather protection of the SS as it is water resistant. Am I correct in this assumption? I can't afford to overhaul all my gear, so buying an expensive down UQ means I also need to buy a larger tarp. By spending the $70 plus shipping on the IX UQ, if it provides some weather protection as well, I can take care of my under insulation problem without having to replace the stock tarp. Has anyone had experience with this? Will the IX UQ help protect me during bad weather comparable to the SS? Is there anything else I need to consider when making the purchase?

I'm planning to get snakeskins for the hammock and tarp (separately) and I wonder if the insultex will roll up with the hammock in a #4 snakeskin. Has anyone done this?

FYI, I plan on 3 season use and use a 30 degree SB as top insulation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    ...possibility of the IX UQ mimicking the weather protection of the SS
    Nothing beats the SS UC for weather protection! However, IX is water and wind resistant.
    ...wonder if the insultex will roll up with the hammock in a #4 snakeskin.
    Not likely... it doesn't slide like nylon.

If you have a BEEP (Bottom Entry/Exit Portal) and no zipper, you might consider a 3/4 IX UQ instead. It will work better with the BEEP.

You could get a silnylon cover for the 3/4 IX UQ and have a built in weather shield.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I'd really like to see a full comparison of how Mac's IX UQ 3/4 system vs. the HH BEEP SS system and maybe also a HH BEEP w UQ. With a SS, I'm cold at 40 deg. and darn near frozen to death in the upper 20's.

Am I right to assume that M2IXUQx3/4 will get me lower at about the same weight but lesser volume? And while the SS is very light, the underpad (can I call it UP?) is hard to pack down smaller than gallon jug size in the field.

How much more weight and volume does the silnylon cover add?

And, finally (I promise), does the silnylon cover completely hide the white IX UQ to aid in the stealthiness factor?
    Last edited by CrankyOldGuy; 08-06-2010 at 13:46. Reason: Inability to construct a simple sentence.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm planning to get snakeskins for the hammock and tarp (separately) and I wonder if the insultex will roll up with the hammock in a #4 snakeskin. Has anyone done this?
    Yes. Prior to selling my HHULBA I used the MAC IX UQ with my HH SS. Without the tarp and the HH OCF, one layer of IX will roll up easily inside the #4 Snakeskins inside the SS with the hammock without any issues. Two will fit but it's pretty darn tight, though I did do it a bunch of times with some patience.

The guy that bought my HHULBA didn't buy the SS so it's technically still available. I haven't listed it for sale because I am a gear horder. However, I might be willing to part with it at the right price. It's the new model that is a camo pattern and it'll come with the HH OCF pad. PM me and we can talk. Kat

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Prior to selling my HHULBA I used the MAC IX UQ with my HH SS.
    If I understand this (always an iffy proposition) you need the edges to be tight to the hammock and an airspace elsewhere, does the undercover allow this? Do you have an opinion on how low 2 layers would take you?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Isn't Paul of AHE still selling $85 2/3 length Kick *** Quilts on his big anniversary sale? I'd go that route before a Supershelter any day.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    ....you need the edges to be tight to the hammock and an airspace elsewhere, does the undercover allow this? Do you have an opinion on how low 2 layers would take you?
    Since I'm still in the category of a noobie to hanging I don't know details about airspace. Anyway, the Mac IX is fitted to the correct size of the expedition and the backpacker UL. That said, I was very comfortable in it (1 layer) with the HHSS (no OCF pad) down to around 50 and when I used 2 layers I was good to around 40ish. Below that I would have needed to add the HH OCF pad. Keep in mind that I am a cold sleeper.

I had no issues whatsoever in using the SS with the IX or the OCF for that matter. I preferred the IX because it was lighter and I didn't need to remove it from the SS when packing up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Isn't Paul of AHE still selling $85 2/3 length Kick *** Quilts on his big anniversary sale? I'd go that route before a Supershelter any day.
    I have no doubt that a quilt may be the way to go and at some point I may end up using one with my brand new WBBB. But then again I may stick with IX and my GG 1/8" pad. Only time and winter will tell. Here's the super big difference to me between the IX and that specific quilt though. IX is less expensive (about $55.00 or $60.00 maybe) and the weight difference for those that care is substantial. Two layers of IX is roughly 8 or 9 oz. One Lost River is roughly 1lb or roughly 16oz. Both will get you down to roughly the same tempurature. Both are outstanding products that anyone would be proud and content to use. So, it's all about choices. Nothing more. It's all good and it's good for all.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I've been following this thread with interest. Mac's IX concepts I've seen on HF really intrigue me. Working with that material seems cutting edge to me. A three season UQ for under 10 oz,s really amazes me. Oh oh, I feel another acquisition coming on.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It is nice to have lots of great options out there. If the comparison is between the Supershelter w/OCF pad and the AHE quilt, the weights (and volumes) are pretty similar and the Hennessy costs a lot more.

Insultex is definitely interesting, and I have an IX underquilt that I've taken out several times this summer. The potential weight savings is very attractive to a gram counter like me. The IX has been more difficult to adjust correctly (and stay adjusted), and based on my experience I would not trust a double layer IX to keep me warm much below 50 degrees. But that's just me. Other folks have had better luck at colder temps. Pushing down into the 40's I would rather have some real insulation under me and not depend on that air pocket to stay formed. The IX underquilts I've seen for sale lately go for around $70, so you do save a little bit of money over the $85 AHE synthetic underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    I have no doubt that a quilt may be the way to go and at some point I may end up using one with my brand new WBBB. But then again I may stick with IX and my GG 1/8" pad. Only time and winter will tell. Here's the super big difference to me between the IX and that specific quilt though. IX is less expensive (about $55.00 or $60.00 maybe) and the weight difference for those that care is substantial. Two layers of IX is roughly 8 or 9 oz. One Lost River is roughly 1lb or roughly 16oz. Both will get you down to roughly the same tempurature. Both are outstanding products that anyone would be proud and content to use. So, it's all about choices. Nothing more. It's all good and it's good for all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast