Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    It seems like nearly all hammock-makers use the traditional sheet bend like ye olde sailors did with their netting. I'm going for the more artistic macrame approach so not much help on that. Also, hardly anyone knots a hammock without spreader bars.

In all it will be more of a research project, rather than making a nice product. Once i receive my materials and get started i'll try to upload a picture of the early work in progress. It'll be a while though, next week I'm out hiking in the Belgian Ardennes. With my trusty old (Sweden-approved) 2x3m tarp, made of cheap an heavy plastic

Time to buy the rope!

Expert at hand-knotted hammocks

Hey Schop,

There was another guy who posted here very briefly a couple years ago. He was a fisherman who began making net hammocks. His name is Mark, and his company is "Deckhandman". I had several long conversations with him regarding his hammocks. He has also made a knotted version of a "bridge hammock", which he calls the "Kayaker". It appears this model allows a flatter lay.

He also gives this source to check out..."Netted Hammock"design in "The Ashley Book Of Knots".Page #389 Design#3822

Best wishes with your project.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What you're talking about is knitting netting. There was a time when the craft was widely practiced by commercial fishermen, but I think those days are long passed...
    There might still be folks who can mend twine. (Netting is called twine by some fishermen.) I still have a bunch of net needles... one is full of orange Speer No Tangle!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ...a square, or reef knot is the knot of choice.
    I use sheet bends.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    "Netted Hammock"design in "The Ashley Book Of Knots".Page #389 Design#3822
    Whoaah! Awesome book, thanks for the tip!

So, I'm back from my trip and the rope was in just hours before I left. It feels very stiff but I found that it handles easier and tangles less. Now I got started on the hammock and I'm wondering what to do with the sides of my hammock. Would it need reinforcement? Maybe just string some heavier rope through the sides...

Work in progress pictures will be up soon!

[edit] Now let's see where I can get a camera... :S
    Last edited by Schop; 08-07-2010 at 13:19.

Images

Photos!

Well then, I've found an old camera lying around with a flat battery and weird old kind of memory card so I fetched the charger and a mini-USB cable. This is what I've got so far en here's a closer up picture. Don't mind the background, it's just clutter on the wall where I work on it for now.

The framework behind it spaces everything neatly, including the ends which I will hitch over to make a nice loop. The cross beam has two rows of small nails that act as a grid for me to knot on. For these first rows I temporarily stapled the bundles of twine to the frame, to maintain an equal tention and knot the first row easier. I will move the entire hammock up the rows of nails with each row of knots I make as shown here. Saves me a lot of hammering nails ;)

Some specs: I've cut my 500 meters of twine in 40 pieces of 12 meters (technically 41 and a bit but hey) and doubled them all. That makes for 80 clews of 6 meters or what's left of it each, dangling from my work. Clothespins further keep them from twirling and tangling and maintain bundles of 4 twines with which I make one knot. I've spent about 2-3 hours getting all the twines on the framework and another hour or so to knot the first two rows. the lengths of twine left at the beginning to hang the hammock varies from 65cm at the edge of the hammock to 80cm at the center, to pre-shape it a bit and hopefully make it more stable to lie in. I don't know how it will work out though.

More pictures will follow when results are starting to show. In the meantime, anyone with suggestions on how to to finish the other end of the hammock? It should preferably look the same as the beginning even though I have 80 ends to work with, instead of 40 loops. Probably splicing or hitching it over in some way? Maybe some professional ropeworkers who can help me out on this one?

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I know Im a bit late with this but have you seen this video? Different style than you are going for but maybe could give you an idea or something.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Images
    Yes I saw that video, it's pretty interesting and detailed about the process and I actually tried using the swordmat beginning in a mockup. Unfortunately it only works well with a dozen or so thick ropes, not with my 80 twines :( Also, it isn't fixed and requires permenent tension to maintain shape.

I often watch How It's Made by the way, pretty funny show :P Didn't see this episode though until my search for hammock instructions and examples.

Images
    Well then, even with my kind of attention span I managed to get some progress over the last days. I've worked on the actual knots for 3 hours now and with about 50cm length so far I'm at 1/4 of the complete thing. About 9 hours of knotting to go for a 2 meter hammock.

The width turns out to be less than expected though. Seems lik I didn't compensate enough for the stretch. Anyway, as sausage-like as it may become, I will lie in it someday ;)

As you can see here I also changed my working setup around a bit. Knotting on a wall wasn't quite practical and spacing was hardly possible. I now secured the thing to a table with bar clamps and move it up by 5cm with each row of knots. I space the knots by the eye on the edge of the table.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Man this is awesome. It looks sweet. You will and have learned a lot. If you decide to do another you will know exactly what you want to do.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looking good!
    Can't wait for a view of the finished product.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast