Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    How soon? I do not know! The more we shift Molly Mac Gear production to TTTGear, the more time I have for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    A stakeless option is PRICELESS for me.
    How about a single stake?

Also, a single tarp can share that single stake, but to cover the entire structure with a modular tarp requires three stakes.

You could counterbalance the stand instead of using a stake. Put 10 to 20 pounds of rocks in a bag hanging from the strut opposite your hammock!

Also, being able to shift the entire setup in seconds to deal with shifting winds without dismantling it would be awesome.
    That it does well, if you have no stakes in the ground.

I'll try a different geometry, using a larger base, and see if it is possible to use no stakes!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    A single stake (or even two) is not a problem, as long as they don't have to take very much load. That's the problem up there, the stakes I can get in the ground won't hold my weight, and the stakes needed to hold my weight would have to be a foot long, an inch wide, and piledriven into solid rock.

But a stake taking a load of 10 or 20 pounds...that's managable.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.
    - The sky is the limit for religious people.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    A single stake (or even two) is not a problem, as long as they don't have to take very much load.
    My wife's MS leaves her little arm strength. I demonstrated a single hammock on the stand last Sunday when my brother visited. My wife happened to be at the strut on the opposite side, so I asked her to hold it down while I got in the hammock. It took little effort on her part!
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Then Robert is your father's brother. I will follow your development with interest and place an order when you release it.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.
    - The sky is the limit for religious people.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS

Talking

I tried one of these myself (posted in trip report http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...400#post322400).

Poles are 1.25 inch flexible conduit. All cordage is 7/64 dyneema. They are currently whoopie slings so I can tweak effectively. I used a ratcheting tie-down to apply tension to the structure.

It turned out well for the most part. I think I will make the legs slightly longer. Using the 10 foot conduit, I was able to get a top span of just under 11.5 feet. I would like to get that a little longer as the hang of my HH was slightly compressed. Not terrible, but noticeable.

It also results in the base being very small with spans of just over 4 feet. This is only a problem due to the amount of pressure being held by the tie down on the leg opposite the hammock.

The structure is just over 5 feet tall and that worked out perfect for hanging the hammock.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Excellent work, PGSoft!
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    What happens to one of these in a failure mode? Are you likely to have a pole landing on top of you?
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    WV says when it tips over, it goes slowly and gently places you on the ground.

However, if a tendon snaps, you will hit the ground just like when your hammock suspension let's go. However, the struts will not land on you. They are leaning in a different direction from all three hammocks.
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    WV says when it tips over, it goes slowly and gently places you on the ground.

However, if a tendon snaps, you will hit the ground just like when your hammock suspension let's go. However, the struts will not land on you. They are leaning in a different direction from all three hammocks.
    ...we think. Also, descent when it tips (if the base is small and it's not anchored sufficiently) is not exactly "gentle," but it's true that the poles don't land on top of you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    I think it would depend on what fails. While working with couplers and trying to make segmented poles (for easier transport), I ended up with some slack in the joint that allowed the pole to get out of alignment. This caused it to bend when I climbed in. That was the gentlest set down imaginable.

If one of the cords break, expect the poles to get whipped around in a bizarre manner. I think the worst case scenario would be for the vertical runner directly across from you to break (in single user mode). I would expect that pole to come directly over the top and land on me.