Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Just a reminder... my first stand, now with WV, had toggles inserted in the strut ends. I looped the ends of tendons around the end of the strut, and over one ear of the toggle, so they stayed put.

I might do something different, looping a short strap around the ends of the struts, with a Dutch Biner to attach the tendons. A single hole can be incorporated as a keeper. If it ever shows chafe, I'll replace the short strap.

I like the integrity of carrying the load in a loop around the strut ends, and keeping the tendons out of the dirt.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Just a reminder... my first stand, now with WV, had toggles inserted in the strut ends. I looped the ends of tendons around the end of the strut, and over one ear of the toggle, so they stayed put.

I might do something different, looping a short strap around the ends of the struts, with a Dutch Biner to attach the tendons. A single hole can be incorporated as a keeper. If it ever shows chafe, I'll replace the short strap.

I like the integrity of carrying the load in a loop around the strut ends, and keeping the tendons out of the dirt.
    That's a good idea. The only drawback of using endcaps with tendons attached at the very end of the strut is that the tendon can be squeezed between the endcap and the ground. This can be minimized by careful angling of the endcap because the tab with the attachment hole is offset, but it doesn't solve the problem of dirt infiltrating the tendon. Theoretically, in a permanent setup with extremely strong and secure anchor points for the bottom ends of the struts you could do without bottom tendons entirely.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

New Thoughts About Tensegrity

I fiddled with my tensegrity stand for a few hours today and came across my own breakthroughs. First, let it be said that I'm no mathematician. I'm sure there are some very accurate computer models that could have done a better job at "I-told-you-so" than me falling on my backside time and time again.

The main discovery I made is that the poles must have a higher angle, otherwise the downward force drags the poles to the ground, instead of directing the weight through the poles (if that makes sense). To do this, I had to shorten my top triangle length and lengthen the side tendons.

The other discovery I made is that I needed more than just one side tendon. There are two reasons for this. First, when my weight was applied to the hammock, the two struts/poles I was attached to bent inward. Adding the second side tendon to each strut kept the top of the tensegrity from moving or compressing.

The additional side tendon also eliminated all twisting motion from the stand, which also helped keep my backside off the ground.

I had to stake at least two of the struts to prevent tipping with one person. I probably should do all the struts.

Last edited by dejoha; 09-26-2010 at 09:04.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Researching
    Suspension
    Slings and webbing

Found this!

Has anyone viewed this? Pretty cool site and set up....

This thread is just plain neat!

http://www.bweebweebwee.com/tensegrity

This is fascinating.

http://mathtourist.blogspot.com/2010...dle-tower.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blackshadow; 09-26-2010 at 00:31. Reason: Addition
    “Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have.” – Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackshadow View Post
    Has anyone viewed this? Pretty cool site and set up....

This thread is just plain neat!

http://www.bweebweebwee.com/tensegrity

This is fascinating.

http://mathtourist.blogspot.com/2010...dle-tower.html
    This is great! I like the open structure too. One problem with my stand is that there is limited area in the middle and potential interference with the inner tendons. I'll have to give this other method a try. With just wood, rope, and a few rebar, the cost should also go down.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Do you ever wonder what the happenstance visitor who stumbles upon this page might think? The power of google has given him/her an insight if they would only see. I do find it quite absurd and profound that the future lies in minds like these-WV,Mac,Dehoha.
    Remember in times of the absurd its the absurd construct that wins the day! and in the background I here Wallace

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Dejoha, great work! If you switch to amsteel, the second tendons will be unnecessary. All they do is mitigate the stretch.

MedicineMan, what plant have you been eating?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    MM,
    More absurd profundities to come, no doubt.
    How many cyclists with you on the Greenbrier Trail in November? Do you want to find a tensegrity hammock stand at the halfway point?

Dejoha,
    You'll find that using amsteel instead of 550 cord will eliminate the need for a second strut and keep you from sinking to the ground. You'll still need to anchor the bottoms of the struts unless you enlarge the base. Good use of nacrabiners! If you use continuous loops for the top and bottom triangles, you'll want nacrabiners to close the loops. (Dutch biners work too; they add exactly 1" to the perimeter, and they're easy on the eyes. But expensive.) I spliced my top and bottom triangles so I didn't need the biners, but I think I'll go back and restore the biner connection. It makes it much easier to avoid tangles if I leave the endcaps in place when I disassemble and reassemble the tensegrity.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm a little confused about the continous loop --- obviously you've used it successfully, but in my experimenting, when I got in the hammock, the poles I was hanging from pulled together making the top tendon droop down. Adding the second side strut stopped this and kept the poles from pulling inward.

So, with your continous loop top and bottom, do you create an eye splice at both ends and connect them with a carabiner or nacrabiner? For the top that would be one long line about 33 feet long with eye splices at both ends? And in my case, a bottom line about 18 feet long with fixed eye splices in both ends?

Also, does it matter which way the poles overlap each other?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Mac, Goldenrod is out in profusion currently and that's a good thing for my little friends who gave up 12 more quarts last week. I did stumble upon Indian Cucumber in the side yard but I left it alone other than tagging it for inspection in the spring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast