Thread: choices, help

choices, help

I ran ran across some discount coupons and have the opportunity to buy a new hammock today. The price would be the same and the two hammocks are

Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro or ENO single with guardian bug net.

Is one more quality than the other? What is the best bang for buck? Assume I will switch out suspensions.

Is one bug net more durable than the other? I know the ENO is an extra removal-able component and the SBP can just be flipped over. Weight is not really an issue.

Are both Channel end hammocks?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    I can't speak to the quality of the GTSBP, but the ENO doublenest I have is pretty solidly built. I have yet to use it on an extended hang, though. One thing to consider, though, is that the ENO bugnet cocoons the hammock, whereas the GTSBP only appears to cover the top. Which means persistent mozzies can make a meal of your backside through the hammock, any place where you might slip off your pad or touch the hammock in any way.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I have the ultralight version of the Skeeter Beeter and other than the ultralight being a little small for my frame I am impressed. I have no complaints with the build quality and really like being able to flip it over to use without the bug net when lounging around camp. The bug net held up well to the abuse my 10 year old gave it when trying to enter the hammock on his knees and flipped out as well.

I have not used an ENO so I can't really provide a comparison.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Alot of the Eno users on the boards have had their Enos for years. I have used mine for at least 5 years and some users have reported 10 years or more. They are very durable and I am a big guy. I have the Guardian also, and it has never let me down. A little tall though, sometimes it touches the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I have quite a few hammocks in my arsenal including a ENO Single & Double. For my body size (6'3" 230-240ish) the Double is a bit more comfortable. Although I have spent many restful nights in the Single also. I also have the Guardian Bug-net which I have used with both the Single and Double and a few other hammocks also. ENO makes some very serviceable gear and you won't go wrong getting one. Having a coupon and being able to save some money is a bonus. I can not comment on the Skeeter Beater as I have no first hand experience with it. Like many here I constantly tinker with, fine tune and add to my outfit. Currently my favorite hammock is the WBBB 1.7 but that does not mean that my ENO's are not used. They just get used more often these days for day hikes and taking to various social events where a opportunity to hang might present it's self.
    Terry

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have both, ENO DN and SP Pro, in the family arsenal. You will be happy with either one that you chose, but I recommend trying them out first if you can. Only to see which one fits you best.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    I LOVE my eno double nest. The Guardian bug net came with my one link, and I like the fact that It gives me space to drop my shoes, and not have to worry about bugs/etc getting in them. I also like the peace of mind that no mosquito will be biting into my backside while sleeping.

The other great thing about it is the fact that If I want to take JUST the hammock, I can, and can save some weight/space. Or, I can take it off/slide it off, if not needed.

I won't make the call for you, but I recommend the Eno. Are there any backpacking shops near you where you might could go try one out? If not, I'm sure you could meet up with one of the guys from here and test out.

Good luck!
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Alright, I went with the GT Skeeter Beeter Pro. I have a Claytor Jungle somewhere on its way. I have an ENO double already and its my everyday pack hammock. With the new addition I can have one for any trip. I decided on the pro to try a different hammock. The price was right and I did not want two ENO's with one bug net. And if I don't like it I can sell it and get the ENO net. This might round out my hammock addiction for a bit, that is unless I keep reading posts on hammockforums.net

So, which Hennessy are you going to order?

I crack me up.

Boris

• + New Posts