Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21

    bowline versus Taunt hitch

    I presently have my support lines tied to carabiners with bowline knots. I then clip the carabiners into slap straps.

    Instead of a bowline, could I tie the support line to the carabiner with a tauntline hitch? That would allow me to make small adjustments to the sag by simply lessening the pressure on the support line and sliding the tauntline hitch up or down the support line.

    I haven't seen anything like this mentioned on the forum so I'm wondering if there is something inherently unstable about my plan.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    I've had taughtline hitches slip when under very heavy load before. Just something to keep in mind.

  3. #3
    MacEntyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jamestown, NC
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Posts
    7,627
    Images
    6
    bowlines can become knife knots... if a tautline hitch slips, try a stopper knot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,657
    Images
    564

    proposition tautline

    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I presently have my support lines tied to carabiners with bowline knots. I then clip the carabiners into slap straps.

    Instead of a bowline, could I tie the support line to the carabiner with a tauntline hitch? That would allow me to make small adjustments to the sag by simply lessening the pressure on the support line and sliding the tauntline hitch up or down the support line.

    I haven't seen anything like this mentioned on the forum so I'm wondering if there is something inherently unstable about my plan.
    Wondered about that myself, although never at a time and place when I could try it out while remembering the question.

    My first reaction on considering it was the threat of the knot slipping. My next concern was the threat of the knot jamming after having been under a heavy load. But before shooting my electronic mouth off about that (which I just did anyway ) I went a googling just now, and everywhere I look says the knot is reliable, and doesn't jam. One site for sailors suggested its use in the one place I know for sure I wouldn't want the possibility of slipping---looped around a human being hoisted up from the water. Admittedly, if I'm the human in the water tying the knot, my chances of getting the knot done properly before drowning is higher with the tautline than with the bowline.

    Let us wait together for any voices of experience and/or wisdom on this question.

    btw, only Frenchmen use tauntlines, and then only in movies.*

    Grizz

    *another inside Monty Python joke
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 10-08-2007 at 20:16.

  5. #5
    what do you mean? a bowline is one of the easiest knots to untie, that's one of it's best characteristics.




    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    bowlines can become knife knots... if a tautline hitch slips, try a stopper knot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    A bowline can become jammed if it is loaded enough, try a double bowline. If you know you'll need to untie it, place a small branch in the knot that can be pushed out when you need to untie it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,789
    Images
    123
    Why not just pull your biner through the loop in the slapstrap, pull toward hammock and just loop the rope coming from the hammock around the end of the biner a couple times. If you need to adjust, just slide the biner in the direction needed. I have slept many nights doing it this way with no slippage.

  8. #8
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Always easy to untie my bowlines. I push the part of the rope coming from the hammock thru the knot and it is quick. Very hard to untie if I try to push the end of the rope thru the knot.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  9. #9
    when you tie it just make sure the loop (the one that goes through the coil and wraps around the live end), is bent 90 degrees backward even when set, when ready to untie, just push it forward and pull a little slack through, this will loosen the tightest single bowline.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Why not just pull your biner through the loop in the slapstrap, pull toward hammock and just loop the rope coming from the hammock around the end of the biner a couple times. If you need to adjust, just slide the biner in the direction needed. I have slept many nights doing it this way with no slippage.
    just looping the rope around the biner will be enough to keep it from slipping off the biner?

Similar Threads

  1. Taughtline Hitch Vs. Adjustable Grip Hitch test results.
    By Rat in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 06:42
  2. pronounce bowline knot?
    By motorapido in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 10:59
  3. the basket hitch (or: choker hitch considered harmful)
    By Albert Skye in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 21:52
  4. VB versus water resistant versus waterproof versus etc
    By meant2b in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 20:26
  5. bowline hitch on Claytor/spider wire
    By hacktorious in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 16:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •