Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images

camp fires and nylon tarps.

Advice appreciated. Looking for stories on how to have a campfire in the rain without burning holes in a nylon or tyvek tarp to sit under. Have done it once with a small fire ( with no damage to tarp) and am wondering if anyone has insightful advice on the subject. With the sun going down earlier its nice to have a fire to sit by for a bit of the evening before heading to the hammock. Could be its just wishful thinking on my part .... buttttt?????
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I did that this past weekend. Lots and lots and lots of rain and I decided I wanted a fire. I had seen a small wood burning stove that Zelph made over at WhiteBlaze and put one together late last week.

It makes a fire with a flame maybe 14" high if you really load it up with fuel. It really makes a nice little fire to sit by and roast a hot dog if so desired. I was using my Sportsman 9x9 and did not find any heat damage to the tarp. I did this two night in a row. If I had to guess, I'd say there was about 5' seperation between the flame and the tarp with a pretty steady breeze.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    My advice is to get a good alcohol (no flare ups) stove and carry a few extra ounces of fuel. A wood fire under a tarp is just too risky.

Images
    Any sparks will put holes in your tarp amongst other issues... Then you have a leaky tarp....

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have made fires under my tarp but I try and build them under the peak of the tarp so that I have the greatest distance possible between the fire and tarp. I also kept the fire really small.

A small wood burning stove with a mesh screen on top to help stop sparks from escaping might be the best bet.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    it can be done, but it's a risk to consider.
    i've not yet chosen to take that risk. i know that even a clean burning fire will occasionally send up a few sparks, & if they still have enough hot substance to them when they reach your tarp, they will likely put a hole (or two) in your tarp.

if i were going to do it, hopefully i would be in a place protected from wind & i could put one side of the tarp up really high (lean-to) & not have the hammock up.
    but most likely i wouldn't even take a chance w/ my sleep system & shelter. i rarely build a fire any more while backpacking, even in the winter, although it can be nice to sit around one & talk sometimes. and when we do, the fire is a little ways from the tarps.

if i were to know in advance that i would really want a fire & chances of rain were good, i might take a separate tarp (silnylon or plastic?) & use that as a high lean to for the fire. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Thanks for the replys. I am considering taking a tyvek tarp ( 9x9 ) or so and keeping it seperate from main hammock and tarp setup by about 20 feet or so. Have a better idea now as to what youz guys are doing and that helps.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts