Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Putting a UCR on a Hennessy

I did some searching and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, though I have a hard time believing it's not on here somewhere.

Has anyone put a UCR on a Hennessy simply by sliding the amsteel sheath over the stock HH cords? The thumb loop would be on the bottom of the amsteel and the biner to connect to the huggers would be on the far end of the amsteel (away from the hammock), with the HH cord sliding thru to be adjusted.

It seems like this would work on the Backpacker since the cord is pretty narrow, and there's more friction with the HH cords than with amsteel.

Anyone?

I'm thinking this would be a very easy mod since I don't even have to remove the HH cords.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I haven't seen that before.

What is the outside diameter of the cording on the HH? I would imagine that it could work, but you might have to buy a larger size of Amsteel than is typically used.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure exactly, but it's smaller than the 1/8" spyderwire I bought...so probably somewhere around 7/64".

HH Explorers have much thicker cords.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hasn't the outside sheath on some of the Hennessy cord failed before?
    That could be an issue if the sheath is carrying most of the load and it fails between the ucr and the hammock. Just a thought.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That could be an issue if the sheath is carrying most of the load and it fails between the ucr and the hammock. Just a thought.
    That's a good point. If the HH has a sheathed cord it will by relying on that for much of the friction in the splice. That might abrade in a different manner than the single braid cords that are normally used for spliced slings.

It might be worth an experiment, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It does have a sheathed cord.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    IMHO, Ken is right on. A UCR configuration as described would put most of the load on the sheath, although the constriction would probably also squeeze the sheath around the inner cord(s), transferring some of the load to the innards. Feeling gutsy?

Edit: As posted in another thread, deer man uses a friction hitch with the stock Hennessy rope in the same way a UCR would be used. Perhaps the concentrated force of the hitch transfers more load to the core than a UCR would. Food for thought, anyway.
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-31-2010 at 12:37.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think the sheath has failed in the past from abrasion, and usually either b/c of knots or the sawing motion of the cord on the tree huggers. I don't know that the sheath has failed on normal use...someone please correct me if this isn't the case.

I think it's worth watching to see if this would cause the sheath to fail, but I also wonder if the constriction would transfer enough load to the inner core that it wouldn't matter. If it did transfer too much force, I bet I could see it distorting the sheath right at the end of the amsteel.

This may be worth testing, at least. I'm planning it for Joker's hammock, so it may be ok at his weight even if it's not something I would use for an adult. I'll test it at my weight, and if it works then it should be safe for his weight for a few years.

Now to convince my wife to suspend my internet-buying-probation, right at back-to-school-buying time.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    "internet-buying-probation" I love this place.

Pictures are a must. Can't wait.....

2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

• + New Posts