DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Pull out ?

Didn't know where to post this so mods please move it if its in the wrong place. I also couldn't find this subject addressed in the way I question either. After finishing some UQ its on to bug nets. Which means I need to figure out gusset location for pull outs. My question is about location of the pull outs on the hammock. Some have one say near the shoulder and one near knee on opposite side. To me that would make that hammock a lefty or righty. I'm ending up with three different DIY hammocks for different people. I also want to use the various hammocks myself. To keep the hammocks ambidextrous so to speak I was thinking of putting the pull outs in the middle. Is there any major cons to doing this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    Didn't know where to post this so mods please move it if its in the wrong place. I also couldn't find this subject addressed in the way I question either. After finishing some UQ its on to bug nets. Which means I need to figure out gusset location for pull outs. My question is about location of the pull outs on the hammock. Some have one say near the shoulder and one near knee on opposite side. To me that would make that hammock a lefty or righty. I'm ending up with three different DIY hammocks for different people. I also want to use the various hammocks myself. To keep the hammocks ambidextrous so to speak I was thinking of putting the pull outs in the middle. Is there any major cons to doing this.
    i have NO pull-outs on any of my hammocks. the HH that had them i cut off, but my son swears by them on his HH. to each his own.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I don't have enough experience to know if I'll use them but want to put the gusset in before installing the bugnet and zipper. Easyer to install before than after. Pull outs would seem to be a little bit of a hassle for a short hang but would think they would be nice on a long hang. BTW I'm talking about the gusset that protrudes inwards that reduces the angles for zippers that the pull outs create.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Images
    i probably can't help. i use these to hook quilt to hammock on the sides.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'd just leave them off for now. I made a few hammocks with pullouts, and they make the hammock "look cool" when unoccupied. But they can be in the way when under the tarp. Most folks dont use them in my opinion.

And like you said, it makes the hammock a lefty or righty

Blackbird has them for the "shelf".

If you feel you want them later, it would not be a big deal to tack on a loop or two of grosgrain and install the pullouts.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 07-31-2010 at 14:25.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have NO pull-outs on any of my hammocks. the HH that had them i cut off, but my son swears by them on his HH. to each his own.
    Well there ya go old man ... your son has spoken and you're wrong ... now get use to that fact!

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.” .... Mark Twain

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    It did dawn on me this afternoon while fooling around with a UQ design that if the pull out is in the middle it would get in the way more getting in and out.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The pull-outs don't change how the hammock lays...it really just keeps the bug net off your face and makes the hammock feel more "open." So the only real drawback to putting them in the middle is that it won't be pulled out from your face as much.

The old Hennessy models had the pull-outs in the middle.

I very rarely use any pull-outs. So rarely that I took the cords off of my Blackbird.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    You could always use a pair of grip clips to see if you like tie outs. If you do then you can move them around to see where you'd like them.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I just may have to order some grip clips and just do that for the occasions I may want them. The wife sleeps banna style and likes to pull the edges over her anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast