Images

Risk's Travel Pod options

There is some talk on the yahoo group about Risk's travel pod. I posted a question there but wanted to put it here to.

I know that you want a breathable nylon material so that your condensation does not build up. I could just use 1.1 ripstop with DWR finish and be fine. But that would not be any fun. So, can I use sil-nylon but put a piece of netting above my head? The netting should vent out enough of the water vaper in my breath to prevent condensation. Or will the netting vent the heat along with the condensation?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Something like the Hennessy cold weather cover?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Agree with what Risk said over there - moisture rises from your bag for the length of your body. You'll get pretty clammy if you're surrounded by sinlylon. Go sit inside a garbage bag for a while and see how it feels, even if you're not breathing into it. A silnylon TravelPod is a vapor barrier with your insulation inside...not good, IMO.

As Ed said, sil on the bottom may work...but Ray Garlington said he sometimes gets condensation between his bag o' feathers and Taco, so personally I'd stay away from that, too. Unless the sil hangs down low enough that it's not touching your insulation...maybe it would dissipate enough that way.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Thanks that was what I was wanting to know. I check the yahoo group via hotmail, I miss some of the content that way.

Below is the link to Risk's site giving directions. I think now I will just use the DWR nylon I have but use velrco instead of a zipper. Personal preference against zippers.

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to say that. Then I got a PeaPod...great product, but that big velcro is kind of a pain. I'm gonna put a zipper on my TravelPod that opens both ways so I can snug it around my neck with my head sticking out.

But obviously YMMV - do what works for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I thought about sticking my head out. I don't like things tight around my neck. I am going to see I can make it where I only zelcro up to the bottom of my neck and have the rest hang down. In addition to completely enclosed.

I hate messing with the zippers on my sleeping bag. I guess it is one of those things.

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    I hate zippers on sleeping bags because the draft tube is always getting caught in the zipper. On the travel pod, I never have that problem. There is no cloth to get caught in the zipper.

My original design had buttons. That did not work very well.

Rick

• + New Posts