Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Salty, I am very familiar with Four Holes...the Francis Biedler Forest in Four Holes is a gem of a wildlife sanctuary and reportedly a dynamite kayak experience (guided only, I understand). I haven't tried it yet but spend a fair amount of time kayaking the upper Ashley River. Only trouble is that there are no mountains down here. Last winter I took a kayak trip through the vast old rice fields of Middleton Place plantation on the west side of Hwy. 61, now overgrown with mature cypress, and wondered about slinging my hammock over water. Interesting, but you really have to remember where you are when nature calls at 4 AM. Incidentally, I'm really curious about your uncle...
    Ted, when I did the canoe trip in FB Forest, it was guided only. The "trail" was so difficult to follow, including areas where we had to do three-point turns between cypress knees, I can definitely understand why. For those reading this that might consider a trip, the great thing about Four Holes swamp is that the water has an ever-so-slight current, so you don't get the skeeters you find in other swamps.

About my uncle...I'll PM you. I was really joking. He's not THAT bad.

Salty

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Ted, when I did the canoe trip in FB Forest, it was guided only. The "trail" was so difficult to follow, including areas where we had to do three-point turns between cypress knees, I can definitely understand why. For those reading this that might consider a trip, the great thing about Four Holes swamp is that the water has an ever-so-slight current, so you don't get the skeeters you find in other swamps.
    Another interesting note is that the FB Forest contains the largest specimens of virgin bald cypress remaining in the US. Most of the cypress in the old growth parts of the swamp are in the neighborhood of 1,000 years old. The oldest known tree on the sanctuary is 1,500 years old. Gives one pause to look at trees born about the time Vikings first visited North America.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Ted,
    Welcome from Simpsonville SC.
    If you can't make the Goat Island trip, there is another one planned at Devil's Fork State Park on Lake Jocassee Oct. 9.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18991

Hope to see you there!

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123