Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

42 Degree's In My New Clark Getting In A Sleeping Bag In A Hammock

Well I Got My New Clark In Yesterday And Slept In Last Night After Screwing Around With The Way I Had It Set Up AND On Two Different Times I Managed To Get It Setup The Way I Liked It. Now Comes The Fun Part Getting Into Sleeping Bag Inside The Hammock. Now I Know There Are Allot Folks Out Here That Can Just Jump Into The Hammock And Have There Sleeping Bag On In No Time But This Is Not The Case For Me I Ended Up With The Sleeping Bag Unzippped All The Way So It Was More Like A Blanket That Kept Wading Up On Me. At 1am I Got Up To Let My Bladder Run Out And Ended Up Zipping The Fooot End Of Sleeping Bag Togeather But It Took An Act Of Congress To Get Me And The Sleeping Bag All Layed Out Inside The Hammock. At 6 Am I Got Up Because Neihbors Dog Was Barking At Who Know What Just To Be Barking Or To Wake Me Up At This Point I Did'nt Care Cause I Had To Pee Again To Much Whiskey Last Night Before Bed. So After Getting Up Yet Again To Pee When I Was Done I Grabbed My Sleeping Bag Out Of Hammock And Stand In Front Of Hammock Inside My Sleeping Bag All Put Up Around My Shoulders And Sat Back In Hammock Brushed My Feet Off And Swong Them Inside The Hammock Where I Layed Back And Found My Sweet Spot Again Until That Dadblam Cell Phone In My Pocket Out Side The Hammock Went Off I Forgot To Turn The Alarm Off Of It So It Sat Out There Ringing Ringing Ringing And I Said Alright Already Im Getting Up To My Self. So Now Im In The House Writing This Out For All To See. Oh Did I Mention During The Set Up Faze Of This I Broke One Of The Little Clips When I Set Down The Bungee Cord Clip Broke Now (nogods) Had Warned Me About It And I Even Went The Extra Step On Makeing Sure I Did'nt Do What He Did But Somewhere That Went Out The Door I Guess Cause I Did Break It Just Like He Hand Warned Me About Dangit.

Weather Outside Was 42deg Out I Had A Very Light Sleeping Bag Maybe A 50deg Bag And No Pad Of Any Kind Under Me And Nothing In The Pockets Of The Hammock And The Only Thing I Wore To Bed Was My Under Armer Underwear As At Times I Had To ThrOW Sleeping Bag Off Of Me Becuase I Was Way To Hot To The Point Of Sweating Well Of Course The Wind Was Blowing Some So I Cooled Of Quickly And Covered Back Up.

So My Question To You Seasoned Or Unseasoned Hammockers Is How Do You All Get Into Your Sleeping Bag In Your Hammocks Is There Any Little Trick Of The Trade Because Im Sure This Will Be Allot More Difficult When I Go To Put My 0 Degree Bag That Only Zips Half Way Down The Side In And Try To Sleep On It This Winter.

I Am Going To Try This Again Tonight And Im Sure Sooner Or Later I Will Figure It Out But It's Not The Same As Sleeping In My Other Open Air Type Hammock.

Thanks For The Comments
    Last edited by cavediver2; 10-10-2007 at 08:54.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quilt, quilt, quilt.

Lots easier to stick your feet into a foot pocket, than it is to get your body into a bag. The bag underneath you is all but worthless anyway. Plus, you get to shave ounces...yiiipppeee!

Images
    That's my plan - just use the bag like like a quilt and depend on a pad and insulation in the pockets for warmth underneath.

Images
    I use my sleeping bag as a quilt. It is kind of nice because I pull the part that normally would be underneath the back of my head over my face to give me a bit more warmth. However, for me the foot box is not an issue since my bag is only a half zip. You could always make you sleeping bag into a half zip or just convert it to a quilt with a foot box. I think that would be the best solution.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post

Weather Outside Was 42deg Out I Had A Very Light Sleeping Bag Maybe A 50deg Bag And No Pad Of Any Kind Under Me And Nothing In The Pockets Of The Hammock And The Only Thing I Wore To Bed Was My Under Armer Underwear As At Times I Had To ThrOW Sleeping Bag Off Of Me Becuase I Was Way To Hot To The Point Of Sweating Well Of Course The Wind Was Blowing Some So I Cooled Of Quickly And Covered Back Up.
    I find it really interesting that you were able to sleep in 42 F weather with only a thing sleeping bag and I was cold at 40 last night with all kinds of gear.

I consider myself to be fairly warm when I sleep too. It really is all relative and although all the advice on this forum is helpful, I'm discovering that you really need to test out the system yourself in the weather you expect to encounter.

I'm moving to a top quilt but I have managed to use sleeping bags in the hammock. The trick I used was to unzip the bag most of the way, get in the hammock and then pull the bag over you like a quilt, putting your feet in the section that is still zippered. You can stop there if you want or, if you want to close it up, pull the bottom side under your lower half by lifting your legs. Once that is in position, lift your upper body by bending at the waist and slide the top half under you. It helps to have the sleeping bag fully extended so that the hood is at the right vertical distance. It seemed easier to slide the bag side to side than up and down when your body is in the way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I find it really interesting that you were able to sleep in 42 F weather with only a thing sleeping bag and I was cold at 40 last night with all kinds of gear.

I consider myself to be fairly warm when I sleep too. It really is all relative and although all the advice on this forum is helpful, I'm discovering that you really need to test out the system yourself in the weather you expect to encounter.

I'm moving to a top quilt but I have managed to use sleeping bags in the hammock. The trick I used was to unzip the bag most of the way, get in the hammock and then pull the bag over you like a quilt, putting your feet in the section that is still zippered. You can stop there if you want or, if you want to close it up, pull the bottom side under your lower half by lifting your legs. Once that is in position, lift your upper body by bending at the waist and slide the top half under you. It helps to have the sleeping bag fully extended so that the hood is at the right vertical distance. It seemed easier to slide the bag side to side than up and down when your body is in the way.
    I used a CCF pad when I was at SEHHA last spring. It got down to the low 40's. NCPatrick and others can vouch for that. I do agree that every person is different and it is very difficult to say that what works for me will work for someone else. My wife seems to get by with the same setup that I use. We were down to the mid 40's a couple weekends ago and she only complained about her feet being cold. However, our setup ended up with me slightly under her, so I think I provided her with some warmth. I was testing out my new stealth. That thing is nice! No condensation at all. Chantelle complained a bit about condensation from the sleeping pad. She was using two 1/8" GG Thinlights. One sideways and one the running lengthwise.
    Last edited by lvleph; 10-10-2007 at 12:09.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    NCPatrick and others can vouch for that.
    Just vouching.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    That's my plan - just use the bag like like a quilt and depend on a pad and insulation in the pockets for warmth underneath.
    Definitly easier and more comfortable using as a quilt but if you still are feeling cold get in the bag and zip it up to retain more heat.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    NCPatrick and others can vouch for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Just vouching.
    I'll second that vouch.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    In fact, most looked at me a little strange when all I had was a pad. I do thank Youngblood for loaning me the SPE. That most certainly made all the difference in the world. Those wings are where it is at for pads in hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast