Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    BillyBob,

When I ripped my pad, I did call Tom Hennessy to find out how to install it correctly so that I did not do it again. He recommended that I install the axillary hooks on the support lines where they enter the fabric covering the knot. This means that I no longer have the adjustability of the prussic fly attatchments. It is possible that I did not have enough tension on the pad, but once in the hammock, I did feel around to see if the pad was gapping. It is hard to tell, but it appeared to be snug against the hammock. I'll need to get someone to look at it when I'm in it.

Part of the difference might be the wind. It was really fairly windy on my last test. I was out in the backyard without any kind of tree block at all, although I did set my hex fly as low as possible. When I went down to lower temperatures, I was in the woods.

I think I will focus my energies on quilts now. As I said before, I'm don't want to give anyone the impression that this is a waste of money, but for me, at the moment, it doesn't cover enough of the temperatures I need. I'm glad that you are here to provide a counter to my experience that way anyone who is trying to decide between the two systems will have plenty of information to be confused by
    Well, at least the quilt is working for you without any trouble, so that is the path of least resistance. I don't blame you if you can afford the quilt or already have one or just want to play/experiment. I have sorely been tempted by quilts and PeaPods myself, but just haven't got around to it yet for some reason. Maybe the reason is peace with the spouse instead of spending additional hundreds of dollars, when I am able to make what I started with work OK. If it was 20 years ago when it was just me, I would probably have the SS I started with, a NoSniv,a PeaPod and a KAQ! And I'm not exagerating.

You are right, let's keep 'em confused with massive amounts of info!

I don't quite get what TH told you. Did he say to slide the prussicks towards the hammock from where they would be if the stock rain fly was centered? That's a new one to me, but no reason it shouldn't work I guess. Except the original directions were to first adjust/center the stock fly, and hook the pad/UC to the prussick hooks at that spot. It seems to me that pushing the prussick hooks down to where the rope comes out of the nylon is adding possible variables for tensioning, and even conflicting with the original directions. And it seems to me, no expert, that this would be too loose and cause a gap, ESPECIALLY if you laid any clothing on top of the pad( more weight to pull it down). Now this is confusing.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-12-2007 at 11:40.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    BillyBob

I'm not sure when you got your supershelter but since you have kidney and torso pads, I'm guessing you got it some time ago. Mine did not come with extra pads but it did come with two little glove hooks and zip ties. These are the same hooks that ride on the ridgeline inside the hammock.

Hennessy now instructs the user to zip tie the hooks onto the support rope at the point where the rope goes into the fabric cover. The hooks are now fixed into position and you do not use the fly tensioner hooks at all. Since I use the hex tarp tied to the trees, I could remove the prussic hooks entirely.

I pointed out to Tom that this contradicts the web videos on his site. I think he acknowledged that but pointed out that the supershelter comes with hooks and installation instructions. Of course, on my first go around, I threw the hooks away and followed the web video. Silly me.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    BillyBob

I'm not sure when you got your supershelter but since you have kidney and torso pads, I'm guessing you got it some time ago. Mine did not come with extra pads but it did come with two little glove hooks and zip ties. These are the same hooks that ride on the ridgeline inside the hammock.

Hennessy now instructs the user to zip tie the hooks onto the support rope at the point where the rope goes into the fabric cover. The hooks are now fixed into position and you do not use the fly tensioner hooks at all. Since I use the hex tarp tied to the trees, I could remove the prussic hooks entirely.

I pointed out to Tom that this contradicts the web videos on his site. I think he acknowledged that but pointed out that the supershelter comes with hooks and installation instructions. Of course, on my first go around, I threw the hooks away and followed the web video. Silly me.

FreeTheWeasel
    Ah hah! The plot thickens! I got mine 14 months ago. It did not come with kidney/torso pads, those are extra. And it did not come with any hooks. No wonder I wa confused, he has changed the product without even consulting with me! The nerve! I guess we should assume that it will be adjusted correctly with the new system. But I've been giving you adjustment advice based on an old system!

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile

I used my Super Shelter last night at around 40 degrees. When I woke up at 5:15 AM, I was so warm that I thought the temp hadn't gotten as low as it was forecasted to be. When I got out to pee, I about freaked at how cold it was. My SS works River good. Maybe I'm just a super-warm sleeper, but I've not been so impressed with a piece of equipment in awhile.

Images
    Well Allrighty then! You and me amd MacEntyre makes three recently, with Freetheweasel doing pretty good at first in the 30s but lately having some trouble at 50*. IMO, it is a usable system especially considering the weight and cost. Some other systems might be better, but it aint bad.

Did you use the space blanket, or were you warm at 40* without it? Have you tried other systems at 40*?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-14-2007 at 22:24.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmlarson View Post
    What a wuss!!! 40 degs and he was cold! You clearly are not a native Minnesotian!!!

Just teasing ya!

I agree with NCPatrick...I don't think that the Super Shelter is able to go that cold...I think to go that cold you will need to have an under quilt.

If we are lucky, we will get our down today and we can work on your quilts this weekend.
    a 4 dollar army closed pad got me down to single digits no problem in my claytor hammock

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    a 4 dollar army closed pad got me down to single digits no problem in my claytor hammock
    You know, the problem is not that a closed cell pad won't work, its that I'm a geek with little outlet for my compulsive behavior. Why go with a proven, easy, cheap solution when the more expensive and complicated system might work?

I slept outside on Saturday with my No Sniveller as an underquilt and my heavy Sierra Designs +15 degree bag (4 pounds!) on top as a quilt. The temperature bottomed out at 43 F. I was wearing long underwear and socks. I was too hot at first and then as I cooled off, I pulled the sleeping bag on. I was comfortable most of the night until right around 7:00 am, I somehow opened a small gap under my hip as I rolled onto my side. Instantly, I started to feel a bit of a draft on my hip only. I think I may have pulled the sides of the hammock together while rolling which would cause the bottom to drop a bit. I eventually spread the hammock out and things warmed up.

See! I can make even an underquilt fail to keep me warm. Who was it that said that staying warm and loft is really between the ears? Or was it that my head is full of down which is why I have so many problems?

The truth is that the Supershelter works for many people and has worked for me several times. I think there is less margin for error than with a quilt. The undercover pad is narrower and is more position dependent. It also tends to collapse the hammock and make it narrower. The quilt allows the hammock to spread more so it feels roomier and because it come up higher on both sides, one is less likely to roll off the pad.

Both require a learning curve and I'm more than willing to spend the time practicing. Its fun. I will continue to use both.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Why go with a proven, easy, cheap solution when the more expensive and complicated system might work?
    OK, that one made me laugh out loud. Funny only because I can relate.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, that one made me laugh out loud. Funny only because I can relate.
    Here I thought only Microsoft software guys thought like that....

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I can sleep down to 50 in just mesh shorts with my potomic and a SG 60* bag. I have gotten down to 38* by adding poly pro pjs and a silk linner. I got the Super Shealter top cover in July and am waiting for the cold to come to test it.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast