Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    BillyBob,

When I ripped my pad, I did call Tom Hennessy to find out how to install it correctly so that I did not do it again. He recommended that I install the axillary hooks on the support lines where they enter the fabric covering the knot. This means that I no longer have the adjustability of the prussic fly attatchments. It is possible that I did not have enough tension on the pad, but once in the hammock, I did feel around to see if the pad was gapping. It is hard to tell, but it appeared to be snug against the hammock. I'll need to get someone to look at it when I'm in it.

Part of the difference might be the wind. It was really fairly windy on my last test. I was out in the backyard without any kind of tree block at all, although I did set my hex fly as low as possible. When I went down to lower temperatures, I was in the woods.

I think I will focus my energies on quilts now. As I said before, I'm don't want to give anyone the impression that this is a waste of money, but for me, at the moment, it doesn't cover enough of the temperatures I need. I'm glad that you are here to provide a counter to my experience that way anyone who is trying to decide between the two systems will have plenty of information to be confused by
    Well, at least the quilt is working for you without any trouble, so that is the path of least resistance. I don't blame you if you can afford the quilt or already have one or just want to play/experiment. I have sorely been tempted by quilts and PeaPods myself, but just haven't got around to it yet for some reason. Maybe the reason is peace with the spouse instead of spending additional hundreds of dollars, when I am able to make what I started with work OK. If it was 20 years ago when it was just me, I would probably have the SS I started with, a NoSniv,a PeaPod and a KAQ! And I'm not exagerating.

You are right, let's keep 'em confused with massive amounts of info!

I don't quite get what TH told you. Did he say to slide the prussicks towards the hammock from where they would be if the stock rain fly was centered? That's a new one to me, but no reason it shouldn't work I guess. Except the original directions were to first adjust/center the stock fly, and hook the pad/UC to the prussick hooks at that spot. It seems to me that pushing the prussick hooks down to where the rope comes out of the nylon is adding possible variables for tensioning, and even conflicting with the original directions. And it seems to me, no expert, that this would be too loose and cause a gap, ESPECIALLY if you laid any clothing on top of the pad( more weight to pull it down). Now this is confusing.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-12-2007 at 11:40.

• + New Posts