Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex

Question Questions for Clark Owners

So I am seriously looking into buying a Clark as my first hammock. I figure if I am going to start hanging I might as well go all out and hopefully get it right. So that said, I have a few questions to the different owners of Clark products. My goal here is not to make this into a "Which hammock should I chose?" but rather ask specific questions that will help me make my decision. Please bare with my inquisitive nature . If you want to know, I am pulling the trigger on this purchase sometime within the next one to two weeks.

As a reference, I am 6'0" 220 lbs with wide shoulders. I sleep about 70% on my sides, 30% on my back and toss a turn a bit. I backpack now but I am not an ultra-light backpacker. This set up will replace my tent, poles and ground pad providing me more room in my pack.

Tropical Owners:

Have you been able to find an UQ that requires no modification to the hammock for low temperature outings? If so, which ones? Atm, I am not qualified for any modifications to any hammock.

At about what temperature do you find that you need to use an UQ/TQ etc? Are there any drawbacks to using an UQ from a different manufacturer (ie fit, efficiency, etc)?

North American Owners:

At what temperature do the pockets and the hood provide too much insulation and not enough air flow? I live in a humid area and I am concerned that the NA would not allow for enough air flow to keep me cool or that the pockets would retain too much heat.

At what temperatures do you find that you need to use an UQ/TQ etc? Do you use the Z-Liner? What are you likes/dislikes about the Z-Liner?

NX/TX-200 Owners:

Have you had a Clark "standard hammock" and what differences have you noticed by sleeping in the larger hammock? How close to my height/weight are you? I ask this because I feel I am borderline in need of the larger sizes.

NX-150 Owners

Have you slept in a Clark "standard hammock" and what are the differences you have noticed when sleeping in the NX-150? How close to my height/weight are you? I ask this because I was wanting to know if the poles make the difference and I do not need the larger size.

How is the airflow inside the NX-150? Any problems keeping cool in warmer, more humid temperatures?

NX-250 Owners

Have you slept in a Clark "standard hammock" and what are the differences you have noticed when sleeping in the NX-250? How close to my height/weight are you? Again, more information to help me decide should I chose to buy the NX-150/250.

How is the airflow inside the NX-250? Any problems keeping cool in warmer, more humid temperatures?

Tarp Selection

I have read a lot of post from owners that say the standard tarp is not the optimal selection and that the XL should be considered the minimum. Do you agree with this? Do you think that the Vertex is more optimal than the XL? What size tarp and what model Clark do you own (if not included in your profile)?

What are the benefits from having an attached tarp versus a detached or vise versa?

If you have any additional information that you think is beneficial, please chime in. Thanks in advance for all your help and taking the time to answer my questions.

-George
    Last edited by third_string_waterboy; 08-03-2010 at 22:03. Reason: Inquiry about airflow with NX-150/250 series.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by third_string_waterboy View Post
    So I am seriously looking into buying a Clark as my first hammock.
    Good choice.
    I figure if I am going to start hanging I might as well go all out and hopefully get it right.
    My thoughts as well.

NX-150 Owners

Have you slept in a Clark "standard hammock" and what are the differences you have noticed when sleeping in the NX-150? How close to my height/weight are you? I ask this because I was wanting to know if the poles make the difference and I do not need the larger size.
    No only the NX150
    The poles do make a dif... lots of room
    I fit in the 150 . at 190lb, 5'9"

What are the benefits from having an attached tarp versus a detached or vise versa?
    I like to hang things in an order dictated by weather.
    Also get the Vertex Rain Fly it is the biggest and the bestest.

If you have any additional information that you think is beneficial, please chime in. Thanks in advance for all your help and taking the time to answer my questions.
    I like the all in one system . . .

. . . and posts with photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Bradley,

Thanks for the information you provided. I had one more question that I added to the original post so I thought I would ask you directly. How is airflow inside the NX-150?

Thanks,

George

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Hi George

If there is any breeze at all, I have felt it.
    The no-see-um netting will likely slow air some-what as any screen will,
    but my internal scientific measuring ability can't detect the amount.

On hot humid days, I have had the sweaty back thing, in an empty 150,
    but I guess that is normal, and there may be a solution to that ????

Maybe that is why the tropical model has less pockets underneath.
    Maybe a manufacturing option is to delete some pockets under a NX.
    But then the Z-Liner wouldn't work for colder weather.
    I would ask Clark about that.

There are others here that have more time in a Clark, and may chime in.
    I'm a fair-new to it, all-be-it, Lovin' every chance to sleep in my CJH
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by third_string_waterboy View Post

As a reference, I am 6'0" 220 lbs with wide shoulders. I sleep about 70% on my sides, 30% on my back and toss a turn a bit.

Tropical Owners:

Have you been able to find an UQ that requires no modification to the hammock for low temperature outings? If so, which ones? Atm, I am not qualified for any modifications to any hammock.

At about what temperature do you find that you need to use an UQ/TQ etc? Are there any drawbacks to using an UQ from a different manufacturer (ie fit, efficiency, etc)?

North American Owners:

At what temperature do the pockets and the hood provide too much insulation and not enough air flow? I live in a humid area and I am concerned that the NA would not allow for enough air flow to keep me cool or that the pockets would retain too much heat.

How close to my height/weight are you? I ask this because I feel I am borderline in need of the larger sizes.

Tarp Selection

I have read a lot of post from owners that say the standard tarp is not the optimal selection and that the XL should be considered the minimum. Do you agree with this?

-George
    My quilts are all hand made by me. If I could have afforded to buy something I would have because making them is a LOT of work. Listen to whatever advice you get from people that have bought quilts and how they like them. You will still have to test whatever you buy so that you know how to hang it on your hammock correctly. Even a properly fitted quilt can be hung on the hammock wrong and you can spend a cold night in it.

Above 75 degrees, all I need is a silk top sheet. I need an UQ at about 75 degrees and cooler. Also please note that I will hang the UQ loose at those temps. It's really just sort of a wind block at that stage. At about 65-70 degrees, I'll have the UQ snugged up tighter to the bottom. On top I'm using a silk sheet. Temps going to 50 and higher, same summer rated UQ, I'm wearing a bit more clothes to sleep in and I'm using a summer rated TQ. Temps going below 50, I need to either use my summer UQ with another blanket wrapped under it or I'll start using my winter UQ but hung a bit loose. On top I'm using my summer TQ unless the temps are going to freezing. Then I've switched to my winter TQ. After that, winter TQ and winter UQ with more clothes on and my silk sheet. This is my sleep system and it's taken me more than a year to figure it out by testing in my back yard.

Friend of mine has the NA. A lot of our trips are boy scout related and we'll be hanging. The NA has required less insulation than what I need but during the hot/humid summer, both of us use a small fan inside the hammock. For me, since I've tried the NA during the summer, I could tell a huge difference between how much cooler my hammock is than it. I also like being able to have the nylon hood at the head end opened up and able to see out.

I'm 5' tall (or is that short??) and I've got lots of room inside my hammock. Get the larger hammock so that you to will have lots of room inside!!! When you're boarder line on the length, go with the longer one.

Yes, get the XL tarp. It's not much larger than the reg size but it does the job. As far as it being "attached" to my hammock... well mine came that way but I soon disconnected it and now I carry my tarp in an outside pocket of my backpack. What I had to do was learn how to set up my hammock with it all just like it came from the seller. After I learned how to properly set it up and what all the ropes were doing, that's when I took it apart and figured out how to add whoopies to it. Now, if the weather is looking stormy, I'll set it up so that it "appears" to be connected (I still have one point on the head end that I can connect to if the weather is super awful). Only had to connect tarp to hammock a couple of times. When packing up, I perfer my tarp seperate because it's usually damp from heavy dew or it's rained. I do not want my wet tarp packed with my hammock. I found it fairly easy to figure out how to disconnect them from each other after I'd set the whole thing up and taken it down, a few times.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post

The no-see-um netting will likely slow air some-what as any screen will,
    but my internal scientific measuring ability can't detect the amount.
    LOL. Yeah, my concern here was that the NX-150/250 series walls would be too deep to have any beneficial cooling from the netting. From your response I assume that this is not an issue. Thank you again for post.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post

I need an UQ at about 75 degrees and cooler. Also please note that I will hang the UQ loose at those temps. It's really just sort of a wind block at that stage. At about 65-70 degrees, I'll have the UQ snugged up tighter to the bottom. On top I'm using a silk sheet. Temps going to 50 and higher, same summer rated UQ, I'm wearing a bit more clothes to sleep in and I'm using a summer rated TQ. Temps going below 50, I need to either use my summer UQ with another blanket wrapped under it or I'll start using my winter UQ but hung a bit loose. On top I'm using my summer TQ unless the temps are going to freezing. Then I've switched to my winter TQ. After that, winter TQ and winter UQ with more clothes on and my silk sheet.
    Tina- My research regarding the Tropical has led me to many of your posts and I think this one clarifies the temperature ranges best for the Tropical. My fear was that the Tropical could not handle the mid-range low temperatures as well as I would hope (without the addition of quilt). Here, in the Kansas City region, I experience approximately four to five months of 50-60 degree range lows and I was wondering how it would hold up. Thank you for your valuable input.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    TSW:
    I have the NX-200 and absolutely love it. I am 6'1" @ 300lbs and shaped like a fireplug, just to give you an idea!!!!!! I tried a NA bed, CJH let me try just a lower portion of the hammock as a trial, before I made the purchase of the NX-200. I found it to be long enough but it was just not wide enough to get comfortable. This is what led me to the purchase of the NX-200, that and the 250 series was not available at the time of my purchase. I find the larger stock tarp to be adequate in most situations but have since purchased a Winter Dream Tarp from Backwoods Daydreamer to give me a true all weather, all season rig. As UQ's go, I have two of the KAQ New River UQ's that are manufactured by Arrowhead Equipment. One is used as a UQ the other is used as a TQ and I have comfortably slept in temps down to the mid 20's with this set up. I would recommend the NX-200/250 for a person of your size and location as well as the KAQ UQ's for insulation. As far as tarps go I would get the largest stock tarp that is offered and then decide if a larger one is needed for your camping lifestyle.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I have the NA and it is hot. It is comfortable at 80 degree or less . If it's hotter than that you better have a fan. I don't use an underquilt and have been comfortable at 40 degree's with a Northface Cats Meow and a pad. If you don't have a mosquito problem just unzip it. This time of year , I don't use a sleeping bag or a pad and just sleep in my clothes. But you gotta have a fan to create some breeze.

i am 6 foot and 200 pounds and fit in my nx 150 with plenty of room. stock tarp seems to cover it fine also.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    TSW:
    I would recommend the NX-200/250 for a person of your size and location as well as the KAQ UQ's for insulation. As far as tarps go I would get the largest stock tarp that is offered and then decide if a larger one is needed for your camping lifestyle.
    Thanks Bama! I knew I would need to get quilts at some point and this will give me a starting point. I also appreciate the recommendation based on your experience with the standard sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooBee View Post
    I have the NA and it is hot. It is comfortable at 80 degree or less .
    My research thus far has said the same thing about the NA getting hot in some of the upper temp ranges. Truthfully though I am surprised that at 80* it is still comfortable. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1 View Post
    i am 6 foot and 200 pounds and fit in my nx 150 with plenty of room.
    Thanks as you have been one of the closer people to my height/weight. Just curious, how flat do you lie in it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast