Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle

Another newbie from SC! Hello!

Hello all! I've been backpacking(and gear collecting) for the past 9 years now and getting a good nights sleep has been a challenge. While I recently discovered having a good pillow/head support was a big part of that, I think hammocking will help too..........i hope

The one thing i'm really fighting is the possible slight weight increase from my current shelter setup(Antigravitygear O2 tent and 3/4 ridgerest pad) but i think a few more ounces should be well worth a good nights sleep. My goal is to try and it and get established before next September when i will hopefully head back out to the Sierras for my 3rd time.(Just completed the High Sierra Trail this past september) I'll be beside myself if I can sleep like a baby while in the middle of some of the most beautiful country on earth.

My planned setup is as follows:
    GT Ultralight
    Warbonnet bugnet
    10'x6' sil-nylon tarp from Etowah Outfitters

I gotta keep to a strict budget as I just don't think I could explain to my wife as it is how I'm gonna be buying yet more gear!

My biggest confusion and dilemna is with the suspension system Geez! I feel like I need to be a scientist to understand all of it. What ever happened to K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid)?!?!?! I'll keep searching and watching video but until then feel free to try and help make it simple for me.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Welcome 4x4Dragon from Columbia SC. Came to the right spot for honest opinions about hammocks. Just be prepared to be overwhelmed, very knowledgable hangers here. As for getting in trouble with the wife for wanting/buying new gear . . . Welcome to that forum too

If you are interested, we have a hang coming up 2 weekends from now at Goat Island in Lake Greenwood. Join us if you are free, lots of different setups there and MedicineMan, who will be there, has had at least three of each. You can PM me if you would like more details.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Welcome, always like to see more locals joining the cult. The hang would be a good place to start
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Welcome 4x4Dragon from Columbia SC. Came to the right spot for honest opinions about hammocks. Just be prepared to be overwhelmed, very knowledgable hangers here. As for getting in trouble with the wife for wanting/buying new gear . . . Welcome to that forum too

If you are interested, we have a hang coming up 2 weekends from now at Goat Island in Lake Greenwood. Join us if you are free, lots of different setups there and MedicineMan, who will be there, has had at least three of each. You can PM me if you would like more details.
    Dang....thanks for the invite. i do really need to get 'out' but we're leaving on our big vacation for scotland next month so i'm afraid buying gear at the moment is a BIG no-no. i'm sure i could swing buying the GT ultralight but i've got a bit of a fear of having creepy crawlies all over me and would need to get the WB bugnet to be comfortable.

hmmm.... i wonder if couldn't rig something up... tempting

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
    Dang....thanks for the invite. i do really need to get 'out' but we're leaving on our big vacation for scotland next month so i'm afraid buying gear at the moment is a BIG no-no. i'm sure i could swing buying the GT ultralight but i've got a bit of a fear of having creepy crawlies all over me and would need to get the WB bugnet to be comfortable.

Well I don't have anything with a bugnet, I don't use one, but if you check out the thread about the Lake Greenwood hang and ask someone might have something you could borrow, good way to try something out before you buy!!
    Relax, monsters under the hammock are easily distracted by twister-playing squirrels.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Dragon View Post
    Dang....thanks for the invite. . . . but i've got a bit of a fear of having creepy crawlies all over me and would need to get the WB bugnet to be comfortable.

I have a spare HH Exped that you could borrow for the occasion. Would be good to meet you and I'm sure the comradery would be great as well as the knowledge passed down. Send me a PM if you'd like to borrow the HH . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

• + New Posts