Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eno tearing?

Unhappy Eno tearing?

Hi all, I'm new to hammock camping and very excited about it. I recently purchased an Eno Doublenest and suspended it using ratchet straps around trees to try it out. I hung it just below chest height and sat into it as instructed. I'm 5' 11 and weigh about 230. As I began to position myself to get comfortable I heard a ripping sound coming from the stitching. I got out and inspected to find all the stitching in tact but the pin hole size tears just below the triple stitching. This surprised me since it is designed for two people and is rated at 400lbs. I returned it and got a single nest and a set of slap strap pros to give it another try. I the exact same results. Is this a product defect or am I doing something wrong? Other than this I really like the hammock but now I'm wary about buying any hammock being they are a little pricey.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I know that this sounds stupid, but is there anything on your person that could cause a rip to start? Keys, belt knife, cell phone, anything?
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    maybe 1 but 2, i had my eno 6yrs and not one sign of wear and mine has been used by the dog for the last 2 yrs, no holes no tears.
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This sounds like what I experienced.

When bagged and compressed, the hammock can force the carabiner gates open a bit, resulting in bite marks in the fabric.

Exchange the SN, inspect the new hammock carefully for pin holes, and remove the biners. They make excellent paperweights.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    And make sure you hang it with the suspension at the proper angle (about 30 degrees). Hanging it tight and loading it could really stress the stitching.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    And make sure you hang it with the suspension at the proper angle (about 30 degrees). Hanging it tight and loading it could really stress the stitching.

Ken
    That was my thinking, chest high and strung to tight.
    The hammocks middle should be at comfortable chair height, with the edges rising at a 30 degree angle to your tress.

If your having to crank the tension to keep the hammock off the ground, you need different suspension. Make sure you don't use nylon webbing or ratchet straps.

How far apart are your trees. If they are over 20 feet apart, you'll have go higher in the tree with your straps. Again QUALITY (not nylon) straps will alleviate a lot of the stretchy issues.

But , I would return the ripped hammock. There may be a quality issue?
    You "saved" money by buying a cheaper hammock, but add in two or three trips back to the store, buying new suspension/webbing, and ....?
    Possibly return the ripped hammock for a full refund, and use that money towards a good "full system". One that already supplies a good quality
    non-stretch webbing and tree strap.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ... and remove the biners. They make excellent paperweights.
    or weapons...

Got rid of mine when they started eating my webbing and whoopies. devilish things. good new is you can buy them at the depot for 2 bucks a pair. on a serious note though what ever you do get rid of the stock biners they are very destructive, a pair of climbing rated biners could last you a lifetime if you don't smack em around too bad. and I have never had trouble with the hammock tearing but the stitching on my slapstraps gave out. when loaded theres only 2-2 1/2 bars of stitching holding your bum in the air. on my new setup the number is closer to 8. redundancy is good sometimes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    When I read that you had hung it chest high. My first thought is that you have it strung way to tightly. Any hammock that is strung to tightly stands a chance of being damaged.
    Terry

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My home sleeper was a DIY but based on the Eno Doublenest. Hung with a ridiculous amount of sag (or so it would appear to the noobies) it was extremely comfortable. Strap it just over your head with trees about 15' or so apart and let it sag to comfortable chair height. Use a diagonal lie and you should avoid all those problems you experienced. The suggested 30* angle is going to look bizarre but it is a tested and true figure.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I bet it was defective if there was no obvious reason, like sharp objects, strung too tightly. I weigh a heck of alot more than 230 and toss and turn in mine like a big ugly fish. It has never ever made me think that it was even straining. At 230, it should have been fine. I would just return it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast