Images

Forum Content Suggestion/Question

I know a lot of us are in other forums in addition to this one. I am also on WB and lurk in the yahoo group.

I came up with a question that might be more for the admin's but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on (sorry if I step on any toes). This forum is still pretty new and does not have the content that some of the other forums have on hammocking. My question is, should we start threads and discussions here when the information is elsewhere?

For instance I just started a thread on the Risk's travel pod. There are threads on this on WB and the yahoo group, but there is not any info here on it. My thought is that it would place more content on this forum and get some new ideas. But at the same time I did not want to take away from other groups.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    IMHO the more info in spot the better.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd say standard etiquette for cross-posting. IMO, it's acceptable to post the same topics as long as you think something unique will be added at each place, or if you know some folks would be interested but aren't on other forums. Happens pretty often between forums that have similar but not exactly the same topics. Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't become spam...and I don't think we're in danger of that with our current members.

But taking traffic from other forums is something attroll and I talked about when we opened this one...specifically WB, Yahoo and hikinghq. Even though we have some of the same members now, I think we'll eventually gain members who are interested in hammock camping but not the AT or military, and who don't really like the Yahoo groups interface. And if we didn't do it, somebody else would have eventually anyway.

I haven't noticed a drop in traffic on the other forums since we opened this one. I'm still active in them all!

But those are just my opinions...if others think differently, feel free to bring it up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Good points Jeff. I only really post on WB. The posts there seem the same as always. I have posted questions here that I would have posted on WB, and gotten some really good replies. But I think there are people that check here that might not check WB. The only drop in WB that I can see is the hammock content, but there is still some of it going on.

I am actually starting to check this one more. It's nice to get away from all the poltics, off topic, or even some of the AT talk.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Maybe its not PC, but I really prefer this format to Yahoo. I haven't posted over there more than once or twice since this one opened. I don't see this as an issue though; personal preferences are so varied that I don't think any site will suffer.

I won't quit using WB; there's a lot more to talk about with camping than just hammocks
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - the Yahoo format isn't as convenient as this software, especially if you're looking for something posted a few months ago.

Nate - I just unsubbed from the politics forum. WB is so much nicer now...suggest you try it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Well, as long as we keep the topics pretty close to hammocking like this forum was intended then I can not see where we would be imposing on any other sites. I would say something if someone started posting Appalachian Trail questions and ask them to post it on WhiteBlaze.net, but this is specifically a hammock forum. No one else had fourms that were of this caliber when we started it. So we were not imposing or stealing from anyone else.That is how I look at it. We were just trying to open a forum that was easy and friendly to use.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    We were just trying to open a forum that was easy and friendly to use.
    And I think you've succeeded!
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I greatly prefer this site over Yahoo...it's sooo much easier to navigate. Whiteblaze is good but I like this site because it's totally dedicated to hammock camping....none of that "other stuff" getting in the way. Shakeyleggs's site is similar to this one but it seems this one took off first so why duplicate.

So far I've had zero problems having questions answered on this site. Having said that I wouldn't feel funny asking questions or entering a discussion on any other site.

The more the merrier IMHO!

Miguel

• + New Posts