DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Bugnet

I was fiddling with my DIY hammock thats whipped similar to a WB trying to figure on how I wanted to attach my UQ. I'm trying to keep the UQ rectangular shaped to use as a layered TQ UQ dual purpose system. As I layed there frustrated somewhat I thought that maybe I ought to figure out my bugnet attachment before I went any further. Thinking about zippers I remembered that I had a five gal bucket full of stuff I cut off a abandoned tent I had found. It was a big tent with all kinds of doors,vent openings and zipper shapes. Triangles,half moons, half moon with L and a large T. Being a noob with no experience with using a hammock with a bug net on it. I'm kinda open minded about my ideas and looking at those tent pieces got me thinking. So I was wondering has anyone incorporated shaped doors like a tent into their bug net? All the zippered bug nets I've seen were zipped following the horizontal line of the hammock. I was also thinking of making those beak like end caps I've seen used for the UQ suspension. Running it up and over the ridgeline and then attaching the bug net to that. Leaving the bug net UQ suspension system semi permanently attached to the hammock with lacing or such. It would act like as a rain cap and maybe put a storage bag on the inside of the beak area.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Clark Hammocks do what I think you're talking about.
    www.junglehammock.com
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Thanks. They are close enough to do some study on. I'll head on over to the clark forum to see what is said about them.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    After studying the clarks its not what I had in mind. They look really nice and If I was rich I'd try one. What I had more in mind was a half moon type shape in the middle of the hammock with a double pull zipper. With the zippers in the middle top position you could open them amount desired to ventilate some. Zipped all the way down both sides you could roll it up and secure out of the way on the hammocks edge like a tent door. May make them removable too. I have the end caps made. Just have to taylor the bug net and figure out what zipper to use. I don't want to use the ones from the tent I found as I don't know their quality and thay are a little ratty.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Finally got the project done enough and me able to hang one to take pics of the results. This is the third of three hammocks that I've done. The first one I went a little to far past the asym curve and a little to tall with the opening. The second was to to short in height and length for me but was ok because it was on the wifes hammock. This third one needed to be about 1 1/2" taller and about 2" longer to be about perfect. We feel that they turned out well. You could feel it venting when you open them up. We are average size so stretch has not been a problem so far on the zipper ends when we open them up to get out. Heavy people may stretch the hammock edge and netting which may strain the ends to much long term. The first pic is with the opening closed up. Second is outside veiw vented some. Third is opened all the way. Fourth is tie down detail. Fifth pic is inside veiw of it vented.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's awesome. I think I'm gonna mod my wife's hammock with this design.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Thanks. If you try it the key to me for venting was to get the zipper as close to top dead center as possible with out crossing my ridgeline. I have two Army duffle bags I use for gear storage. I used those and a dog food bag to simulate myself laying on a diagonal when I pinned the zipper on. On the first hammock I did I got a little to aggressive. After sewing and me in it somehow the zipper crossed over the ridgeline a little. No big deal really. Just a slight detour while zipping.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    That is super cool, Tasthree! Since I ripped my DIY bug net this week, I've been thinking about how to remake it. Any chance you could draw a pattern for the net and the nylon doo-hickies at the ends? How did you figure out how to cut your fabrics? I think I can figure out how to pin the zipper on once it's made.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Pipsissewa. I didn't use a pattern. I set the hammock up as described above. Keep in mind also this was new construction where the asymmetrical cut and hemed bugnet was only attached to the hammock with pins. For the head end I figure near the center of the asym curve is best. If you go past to far as I did on my first one it creates a bigger strain on the zipper end when you sit on the edge of the hammock. I had marked earlier on the hammock on where I figured where my feet would swing out. I pinned those spots, the height along the ridgeline and a general outline of the opening. Then I removed the net and went indoors. I laid the net on the floor. Using the pinned outline I started to pin the zipper in place with the outside facing upwards. I used number three size zipper from a roll. On the curves I would bend the zipper till it started to buckle,pin it and continue. I readjusted it a couple of times till I liked the curves. Then I sewed it with the outside facing upwards. Then flip it over and cut a slit down the middle of the net over the centerline of the zipper. Then I folded those little edges over and sewed those. Then I installed the zipper pulls and sewed the net to the hammock. Not sure as what you mean as nylon doo-hickies. If its the tie down then that is a large plastic hanger from WM that I cut in half on my bandsaw with a hole drilled in it and a strip of cut down flat shock cord in it. I hope this helped ya. Thanks for you intrest. Good luck.

• + New Posts