Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Above treeline

I am camping at the Boulderfield of Long's Peak the end of August. I seek advice regarding how to use hammock when "going to ground" above treeline in Colorado. No soil, trees, etc. Lots of marmots & pikas. WBBB,Yeti, Big MJ,

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've set up my Clark on the ground (testing it in my backyard). My hammock has small loops on the bottom that can be used to stake it to the ground. And then I use my treking poles to hold up the netting and the tarp. The ropes from the netting and the tarp go around the handle of the treking poles and then are staked to the ground. I end up with what looks like a tiny pup-tent. I do need to carry 2 extra ground stakes for this to work.

You'll need to try your BB in your backyard to see if you can make it work on the ground. Oh, and be prepared for a lot of dirt on the bottom of your hammock if you don't take some kind of ground cover with you!! I used an emergency foil blanket and it worked quite well.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock - Tropical
    Tarp
    S to S Tarp Poncho
    Insulation
    Mont Sleeping Bags
    Images
    I also have used my Clarke Tropical on the ground. The trees (if you could call them that) couldn't hold my weight, so I used them as tent poles and went with a awkward looking A-Frame tent. It rained that night and I stayed dry. I did freeze though being on the ground. That's when the pad-users have it over UQ-users.
    Cocksy from Down Under

http://www.seqhistory.com

Longs Peak has had a bumper crop of fatalities and less major mistakes this year due to bad weather. Some events as many as 35 people per rescue, and guess who they stick with the bill. Unless you really know what you're doing the Boulderfield is not a KOA. At least plan for high winds, below freezing temps, rain and snow. My shot at the summit in July was stopped by ice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I am camping at the Boulderfield of Long's Peak the end of August. I seek advice regarding how to use hammock when "going to ground" above treeline in Colorado. No soil, trees, etc. Lots of marmots & pikas. WBBB,Yeti, Big MJ,
    The Boulderfield doesn't really have any good hangs. There are a couple of notches in the ridge that you might be able to attach to with the right gear, but you're going to be square into the weather with little more than an awkwardly strung tarp.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts